Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Urban Myth?
2 October 2012, 17:48,
Urban Myth?
I've heard a few times that those survival type blankets made of foil etc can hide your thermal image from FLIR-IR, does anyone know if this is BS, or is there some truth to it?
2 October 2012, 17:54,
RE: Urban Myth?
No idea, know someone who hugged a cow in a field and still got caught.
2 October 2012, 18:05,
They work on PIRs, test them yourself, so they should work fine for FLIR. best making a suit though so that as you move it doesn't show up.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 October 2012, 18:14,
(2 October 2012, 18:05)Skean Dhude Wrote: They work on PIRs, test them yourself, so they should work fine for FLIR. best making a suit though so that as you move it doesn't show up.
Thanks mate for the info there could be some covert opportunities in a SHTF scenario, especially if you can remain undetected.
Besides that a nicely cut tinfoil suit would match my tinfoil hatAngel

2 October 2012, 22:31,
Problem is most FLIR can differentiate between same heat or no heat.
For example, if the ground is warm, you cover it with a metal foil, the FLIR sees a dark square.
The foil stops the heat from being visible.
Same for you standing. Background hot, you cold (just add a bit of wind chill) and you're black on white (depending on the setting on the FLIR).
OR it just appears as a black hole because you've blocked the radiant heat from the background.

Bottom line, you're FUBAR when the A10 opens up on you.

3 October 2012, 00:29,
well imo the same principles of camouflage apply to using reflective foil to avoid thermal signatures, mask your shape etc, should be fine

but yes the way it works is heat is essentially expressed as infrared radiation which is what thermla cameras see, so if you haver some nice shiny foil it reflects the infrared like a mirror back at ya, showing a cold spot on a themrla camera, simples Big Grin...just make odd shapes and you should be fine xD
3 October 2012, 07:33,
Didnt they start making anti heat reflecting army jackets?
3 October 2012, 10:35,
flir is un-fair. a sniper with a flir scope and there's no where to run!!! on top of that they have heart beat sensors to!! you could be berried in snow and the technology will pick out your heart beating. i think the best way to beat flir is as Hrusai said make odd shapes and hope the flir dosnt have a heart beat scanner built into the scope. you can buy a hand held flir scope from uk hunting mags. might be worth investing a for hunting and b for trying to beat the technology.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
3 October 2012, 12:32,
its starting to sound like predator!!!
3 October 2012, 13:13,
damn i gotta try me some of this now Big Grin