Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buck alpha hunter (ats34 heat treated) as a bush craft knife?
2 October 2012, 21:20,
buck alpha hunter (ats34 heat treated) as a bush craft knife?
hello all, this is my first post on this site and it is in the form of a question. i have a buck alpha hunter and was thinking of using it as a bushcraft knife on account of its sharpness. my question is would this be a reasonable choice being that i have no money at the moment.(i couldnt afford a tent peg to sharpen) lol. thanks wildman.
2 October 2012, 21:27,
RE: buck alpha hunter (ats34 heat treated) as a bush craft knife?
hello wm i have no practical advice to offer but there are plenty on there that will help you .... just hang on a bit !
2 October 2012, 21:34,
hello mate yes it will do the trick bit of a shame if you lose it pal thats why i use the mora blade cheap and does the job
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
2 October 2012, 22:03,
Good choice of blade wildman but as BB says, what if you lose it?

Cheap and cheerful for me.
Mora 840 blade (£11) backed up with a Cold Steel Kukri (£18) for the heavy things in life.
Add a little ceramic sharpener (£6) to keep things nice.

Maths time.
The above three for £35 (7.50 p&p) Total £42.50.

An Alpha hunter (£50-70 ish) isn't it?

Still. nice blade.

2 October 2012, 23:05, (This post was last modified: 2 October 2012, 23:12 by Wildman.)
(2 October 2012, 22:03)Paul Wrote: Good choice of blade wildman but as BB says, what if you lose it?

Mora 840 blade (£11) backed up with a Cold Steel Kukri (£18) for the heavy things in life.

Maths time.

Still. nice blade.

ello again m8 lol, thank your for that advice, i must admit loosing that particular blade would be heart breaking. cold steel i must admit are very good for practical affordability, and i'll defanatly look at getting a mora. i thought they were more expensive. nice. cheers man

(2 October 2012, 21:34)Barneyboy Wrote: hello mate yes it will do the trick bit of a shame if you lose it pal thats why i use the mora blade cheap and does the job

true, i'll be looking at a mora for sure now. Cool
(2 October 2012, 22:03)Paul Wrote: Good choice of blade wildman but as BB says, what if you lose it?

Maths time.

Still. nice blade.
the 154 steel aplha's are 50-70 the ats34's h-t are alot more but all the ones i've found to get an idea of price are the 154's.

(2 October 2012, 21:27)Straight Shooter Wrote: hello wm i have no practical advice to offer but there are plenty on there that will help you .... just hang on a bit !

thank you straight shooter, you were right. its a mora bushcraft knife for me!! cheers man.
3 October 2012, 07:29,
There's no such thing as a bushcraft knife! Ive heard thousands of discussion on "whats the best knife for bushcraft" and the answer is - what ever knife you have with you! If it's all you got then it's perfect. Its what.you do with it that counts
3 October 2012, 07:54,
(3 October 2012, 07:29)BeardyMan Wrote: There's no such thing as a bushcraft knife! Ive heard thousands of discussion on "whats the best knife for bushcraft" and the answer is - what ever knife you have with you! If it's all you got then it's perfect. Its what.you do with it that counts
thanks beardyman, wisdom is a sentence well said. i guess what i was trying to find out is would using the buck as a bushcraft knife ruin the blade. battoning ect. the knife was left to me by a man i only ever met once. he was dying of cancer and after a night out with his family, when back in the house every one just left him to sit in the kichen by him self which i thought was out of order so i went in and we put all sorts to rights lol. two bottles of fine whisky later and were exchanging story's and i wish i wasnt as drunk as i was coz he was trying to tell me every lesson he ever learned in his life (almost as if know one wanted to know and i was his last chance) so a month or so later i get given the knife and was told that he remembered me and wanted his wife to make sure i got it. so to say the blade is sacred to me is a lie its every thing to me. for years i just kept it in a draw, and one day thought that david wouldnt of wanted me to have this blade and not use it, and as i have no elk to skin lol i thought that a bushcraft knife would be the ticket. as long as i dont loose it as i was advised above. which i agree with to. wildman.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
31 October 2012, 15:27,
I looked online with the intention of getting a mora honest Smile. Then I saw a casstrom with bohler 02 carbon tool steel for 69 and I thought "the bivi can wait" i would recommend this knife to anyone who wants a real blade-stains easily but will still shave hairs off my arm after two days use! Holds an edge better than any knife I've used for a while.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
31 October 2012, 16:17,
My Bushcraft duty / camp site knife is still an AK47 Bayonet / sheath combo, its rock sold cabon steel, holds a good edge and its tough as old boots.

1 November 2012, 01:29,
The best knife is the one you have with you at the time
Failure is NOT an option