Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IPhone users take note.
5 October 2012, 10:42,
RE: IPhone users take note.
(5 October 2012, 06:20)BrixhamBadger Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQveLsoy78Y Wink

oh now thats just not fair, i was right clicking for ages and that worked but the paste option was never high lighted. any who i had an i phone 3, saw that and sold it straight away. gov wouldnt be trying to censor wiki unless what their saying isnt true.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
7 October 2012, 11:04,
(4 October 2012, 09:12)Biter Wrote: I must admit I love my iPhone4.

I think it is one of the most useful tools I have as part of the EDC kit. It has helped me navigate when lost in foreign cities, get phone numbers and address from the web and while camping / hiking the map locate feature is a great map reading aid, allowing both a confirmation of your location and also satellite images in hi res of your surroundings.

Since I do nothing illegal I am not worried about 'The Man' coming for me Smile

Definitely agree with it being an awesome EDC item. All the information on the internet available at your fingertips wherever you are, that's a powerful thing, not to mention the versatility of apps.

The privacy thing does worry me, but with so many iphone users out there I'll just be blending into the crowd.
7 October 2012, 11:16,
Q about I-phone 4 duzzit still work if the area you are in loses its power and phone networks like the cell phone towers?

7 October 2012, 11:25,
I'm a dunce when it comes to technology but i think that once the power goes off the mobile phone towers wont be far behind, so i wont be relying on anything like that, if i want to find my way around i'll be using a good old map and a basic compass (oh, and local knowledge too!Big Grin)
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 October 2012, 11:31,
If I-phones, I-ads, I-rons etc are reliant on the cell phone systems they are only good for normal EDC use and no good in a disaster. Powers mean no service, Terrorism means no service cos the gummint turns off the cell system in the traget and surrounding areas.

I kid you not about this I recently saw a post from an experienced prepper who said ( I was stunned and gob smacked to read such stupidity) " I dont carry a map or compass any more cos my phone has gps and a compass built in" I spent and hour explaining to him the flaws in that but he was adamant !!!

7 October 2012, 11:39,
(7 October 2012, 11:16)NorthernRaider Wrote: Q about I-phone 4 duzzit still work if the area you are in loses its power and phone networks like the cell phone towers?

From what i have read some mobile phone masts will have a battery back up. Depending on where you read the info from this could be anything from 2 hours worth up to 3 days worth. Whether all the extras like internet access etc would still be available I dont know. Like you say though, not something to rely on in a crisis but if it is still working for a period of time it may be useful, just make sure you are prepared for them not working.

Even if the masts were working for a while in a widespread blackout the chances of being able to use the network wold be very limited as most people these days have wireless landlines that wouldn't work without mains electricity so they would all be trying to use mobiles and jamming up the system anyway
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
7 October 2012, 17:43,
This is a standard back up system. The old exchanges had three days worth of power. It was to keep comms going in an event although now we are likely to have the gov turn us off after an event to stop the bad guys talking.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 October 2012, 08:50,
Read that after 48 hours, only the 999 / 111 service would be running though.

Internet dies the instant we get a mains drop out here despite me going onto generator power so I'm assuming that the local exchange does something to keep only voice going.
Any BT guys know if that it right?

8 October 2012, 08:56,
To many ifs and maybes, I'm sticking with map and compass.