Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
solar stirling plant
6 October 2012, 10:35,
solar stirling plant
just been reading about " solar stirling plant " has anyone else heard of it ? the reviews look interesting http://www.nbadraft.net/solar-stirling-p...-generator
6 October 2012, 11:03,
RE: solar stirling plant
The idea has been around for about 100 years. Smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhzeA4VR...re=related
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
6 October 2012, 12:28,
(6 October 2012, 11:03)BrixhamBadger Wrote: The idea has been around for about 100 years. Smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhzeA4VR...re=related

about 200 years i think , just wondering if anyone knows if any have been built here
6 October 2012, 12:29,
If they were that good, they would be in production. Wink
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
6 October 2012, 12:37,
it is Infinia are making it
6 October 2012, 12:49,
Smile Just been looking into it Tigs Wink does not seem to be a con. Rolleyes
6 October 2012, 12:56,
nope!it was original built to replace or at least take on the steam engine but unlike the steam engine it could not run 24 hours a day

i spent a fortune on pvp system i am now thinking a few of these would have cost a hell of a lot less .
6 October 2012, 12:58,
Let me know if you try it ha ha, might be just what I need for the caravan. Wink
6 October 2012, 13:01,
if i can find the plans online for free i might give it ago
10 October 2012, 19:52,
I'm not convinced.
On the video at 0:18 comapring with the fence one of those units looks to have a reflector area of about 4m^2
Yet the claim it produes 3kW
Wikipedia state typical energy available on the earth from the sun in the 150 to 300W/m range
This is consistent with a solar panel thats about 80W (rated) for a 1m^2 panel (about 25% efficient assuming ideal conditions)

Either those units are a hell of a lot bigger than they look or they're getting >100% efficiently (a.k.a. telling lies)

In either case if you want solar energy why use a Sterling engine? While I like the Sterling engine (for doing work from burning fuel) it is still an engine that requires maintenance, a PV panel doesn't. The PV panel should last your lifetime, no sterling engine will without a lot of spare parts.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?