Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worrying glimpse into UK food mindset
7 October 2012, 23:19,
Worrying glimpse into UK food mindset
I caught a briefly mentioned little fact on BBC news about Tesco losing money, it was saying that "UK shoppers often just top up on essentials instead of doing the weekly shop, hence the success of small Tesco Expresses etc..."
Winter is coming.
Its going to be.. Uncomfortable for some
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
7 October 2012, 23:31,
RE: Worrying glimpse into UK food mindset
Yeah I keep prodding my mum and friend next door to buy more. My examples of course simply include illness, snowed in, flood... things they can relate to... but they never do it... small top ups each week is all they do!
Next door saw my kitchen cuboard recently and was blown away by the amount of food in it... I thought.. really?! you should see under the bed!
8 October 2012, 08:06,
Nice one!

8 October 2012, 08:51,
yep, the sheeple around here have a maximum of 3 DAYS "food" at any one time, if you can call convenience stuff "food"!! they seem to forget we were snowed/iced in on this estate for 3 weeks winter before last! very small memories this lot have got!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 October 2012, 09:09,
We don`t allow it to snow here on the coast in South Devon...!!! Wink
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
8 October 2012, 09:16,
i seem to remember a lot of time when we had snow in Plymouth and you cant get much nearer the coast than that!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 October 2012, 09:20,
I remember enough snow falling on Taunton in the 70s that was enough to collapse the roofs of our barracks at Norton Fitzwarren.

8 October 2012, 09:23,
(8 October 2012, 09:16)bigpaul Wrote: i seem to remember a lot of time when we had snow in Plymouth and you cant get much nearer the coast than that!!Big Grin

Torbay has strict rules regarding snow...!!! Wink
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
8 October 2012, 09:47,
(7 October 2012, 23:31)Hexyprep Wrote: Yeah I keep prodding my mum and friend next door to buy more. My examples of course simply include illness, snowed in, flood... things they can relate to... but they never do it... small top ups each week is all they do!
Next door saw my kitchen cuboard recently and was blown away by the amount of food in it... I thought.. really?! you should see under the bed!

Just watch who you show your stores too... otherwise the whole neighbourhood will be coming to you if its a bad winter with their shopping baskets...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
8 October 2012, 12:12,
This is something I laugh about as well.

Where my parents live, we know it will snow heavily, if it does snow. When it does, we all know we're stranded. The roads are not gritted for at least 2 miles!!! Nearest shops are closed (my uncle's shop), so most people cannot get food. But we're all stocked up. The funniest thing is whenever the weather forecaster predicts snow. As soon as that guy/girl says "This cold front may bring snow..." BOOM!!! Morrisons and Co-Op both sell out on bread, milk, and other essentials!!!

For this time round, I'm going to be stocking up on more camping gas and the alike. Living down in Taunton (thanks for the info about Taunton snow NR) where we are out in the stix, I'm expecting heating to die, and everywhere to basically freeze. Our local shops are miles off, as are my hopes of gritted roads!!! The likelihood of losing electricity, heating (which I don't think we have...but don't care as I don't seem to get too cold anyway), and hot water, is really high. I can see us needing to hunker down, cars immobile, and everything we need to do, basically, to be impossible if not for a drive risking our lives on snowy roads!!! Thank goodness for snowboards!!! Happy days!!!!

But as I was saying.......if this winter hits us heavily, we'll be having a hell of a time in Taunton. I'll be laughing and buzzing about it (possibly insanity) but other than that, it's all going to be a hell of an adventure!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin