Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home schooling.
9 October 2012, 18:39,
RE: Home schooling.
(9 October 2012, 18:16)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(9 October 2012, 17:09)Hexyprep Wrote: Sounds good to me. Thanks I'll take a look at your link.

My spoilt Brat wants to go back both Easter and the Summer hols, god knows where he thinks money comes from.

Sounds like our kids have a lot in common... they'd get on great Rolleyes
9 October 2012, 21:38,
I looked into homeschooling and still have the info, unfortunately since im on my own it means being unemployed to stay at home and though i would enjoy spending the days teaching the kids, i would hate not bringing my own money in (or at least as a student i have loans which i will have to pay back). we discussed it as a family and the boys were both pro homeschooling, especially as my oldest was excessively bullied all through school (as an example, in his nursery he was literally tongue tied and cos the other kids couldnt understand him, they bullied him from the age of 3 and it carried on till he left the school and the head was of no use as the kids were bright enough to lie and set him up to get into trouble and then called him the biggest bully in the school even though he was the most bullied!!!! and high school was no better, he was racially abused even though we have no coloured background not that it makes any difference and the school just gave them a tap on the wrist!!!) so i guess what im saying is that id prefer to homeschool if it was an option.....
9 October 2012, 21:40,
Its definately not easy being a single mum trying to study / work and raise kids, you have my sympathy and respect for trying to better yourself. at least me and Mrs NR could cooperate in raising our brat.

9 October 2012, 21:45,
Thanks NR, It can be hard sometimes but i know im doing a good job and that at the end of the day when my kids turn out to be well rounded people that can stand up for and look after themselves that i did it all on my own and my kids will know it too!!!
9 October 2012, 22:10,
Madgirl151 you've got my full respect.
I used to help single parents set up PC's for home use when they were home tutoring.
A charity based in Dorset, now defunct thanks to the local education committee.

Off subject a bit, hope you don't mind.
I never speak bad of home tutoring. I was raised with a lad who didn't "do school". Branded a complete waste of space and a trouble maker his school threw him out aged 11.

Then some bright spark psychologist tested his general IQ. (145) with his spacial IQ (160). That's genius level.
He ended up being taught at home by his single parent dad (a brick layer).

He got offered an apprenticeship as a marine engineer in 1973.
Qualified in half the time it normally takes and ended up a chief engineering officer, a roving trouble shooter, on mega tankers.

It took him 5 years to read a paper back yet he'll draw you a complex diagram of a ships propulsion system AND the control electronics before your very eyes. EVERY damn ship he's ever worked on.

Every now and then , I get a letter from him. Takes me about a week to decipher his writing but does that really matter?

Sometimes I think school education is over rated.
If you don't fit their "perfect" little mold, they just don't want to know.

As I said though Madgirl151, Respect to you.

10 October 2012, 00:33,
Thanks Paul, it's been a long hard slog with my eldest, he presented with all the classic signs of ADHD and with a lot of pushing from myself they finally after years of asking, they tested him and the professional diagnosis was that he's fine but just needed a couple of tweaks, that's the e act word she used, he was exceptionally naive at the time (still is bless him) and the other kids would be sly to him and when he reacted he'd get wrong and he would always kick off cos he didn't start anything but the school never have a shit and the nhs was even less helpful!!! Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm a bit tired
10 October 2012, 00:43,
My sister homeschools her 3 kids and I plan to do the same when my own are old enough. It's totally unregulated here in NI, and you don't even have to notify the authorities, so it's very easy to do here.
10 October 2012, 09:27,
(9 October 2012, 10:10)NorthernRaider Wrote: If I got my way i would have educational and skill based summer camps for preppers and their families during the summer hols.

Simple enough to arrange with a camp site - I'd definitely be interested in this!

We're going to home school our little one. If you register then you can get free entrance to national trust properties for those history lessons, and quite a few educational attractions.
You can get most if not all of the current "curriculum" (for what it's worth) online, then add the good bits (if you can find any) in to your own teachings.
10 October 2012, 12:50, (This post was last modified: 10 October 2012, 12:51 by NorthernRaider.)
Well until something better comes along my families kids will contune to go to L & E camps during the various hols instead of roaming the streets or sitting infront of the X box all day.
FYI L & E also have a bursary scheme.