Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tins vs Bowie
11 October 2012, 01:58,
Tins vs Bowie
Ok I want to know how many preppers Ever assume they would ever be run out of prep and living out of a bug out bag, off the land. Coz a lot of poeple seem to be just grabbing what they can shelv and are not to worried about having the skills to secure a healthy life from the land. I mean storing food is ok to a point but when dose it make us more reliant on it and more weak if it ever ran out? Now I'm not trying to say that anyone here has no survival skills but I am asking who's prepped for there stores to run completely dry. Last winter I went to my lair for two days with a knife, a mess tin, and a fire steel. It gave me a real sence of what was priority in my prepping list.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
11 October 2012, 06:21,
RE: Tins vs Bowie
i grow a lot of mine but also hunt and fish as well as forage
11 October 2012, 06:28,
A major part of my prep is developing the the skills to a self-sufficient life style and also to develope the environment around my home and bol's along the lines of forest gardens to provide resources over the long term.
11 October 2012, 06:55,
I've managed to save the money this year that has allowed me to attend foraging classes as well a short course on herb craft. I have a small veg' patch. and am currently trying get my head around perserves and jams.
Next year I want to try to learn basic skills like mechanics, plumbing, electrics.
Respect existence or expect resistance!
11 October 2012, 08:37,
i hunt and have veg garden
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
11 October 2012, 08:44,
I'm not really interested in Bushcraft any more, i would prolly go tactical planting IE Mixing and matching food plants in irregular positions mixed among other plants so the food crops would hopefully not attract much attention. But If I was driven away from my family and i was forced to work as forceman survivalist it would be easier for me to use my skills as a soldier and survivalist to hunt down lesser skilled survivalists !!!! Smile

11 October 2012, 10:07,
I've always planned to use my preps to supplement what I can grow, scavenge or gather. I'm too old to go feral, I'll leave living off the land with nothing but a knife and spork to you young bucks. Getting old has it's advantages.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
11 October 2012, 10:19,
You couldnt survive without good crops every year
11 October 2012, 23:50,
I'm constantly worried about what will happen when I run out of food as I have some skills but certainly not enough.
I have heirloom seeds stored and I grow what I can which is not much due to space and direction of my garden. I forage and have a mental map of all the edible wild food (that I can recognise) in the area... soon to be transfered to a map. I have a pretty robust herb garden and there is a bay tree and a massive rosemary bush near by for those needs. Planning to get chickens in the spring, have everything ready for them. I have fishing poles and nets and am by a river. I've been working on how to preserve fruit etc. with varying success and want to move onto meats asap as I have no room in the freezer and with the soaring prices want to get more in quickly.
This of course is largely based on the bugging in senario.
12 October 2012, 08:37,
it has always been said you need to do 3 things to survive, 1. grow food 2' breed animals for meat...dosent have to be sheep or cattle can be smaller stuff like rabbits and chooks 3. forage/snare if one of these things fail then you have the other 2 to fall back on but if you put all your eggs in one basket you may fail. you also have your food stores to supplement the above 3.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.