Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter car prep scenario
13 October 2012, 18:24,
Winter car prep scenario
You are driving home late at night in winter maybe it's midnight. It's very cold and icy and you are on the backroads. You hit a patch of ice, your car goes over on it's side and into a ditch. You don't have your phone with you or the battery is dead. You know you are at least a mile from any life, and when you try to stand you realise you have injured your leg, there is some torn flesh and some blood but its not life threatening. however you wouldn't be able to walk any distance.
Its a very quiet road at the best of times. Maybe you have managed to push the car back onto its wheels, but the front end is smashed up and its not going to be going anywhere. You realise you may well be there for the night. So what do you do? What preps do you have? Are you going to get through a freezing cold night in your car? Can you treat your wound?
13 October 2012, 18:46,
RE: Winter car prep scenario
Got some chem sticks and a warning triangle to mark the car so if anyone comes they can see it. I have a spare phone as well but the battery could be flat, I've a 12v charger for that phone though. Plus I've some PMR radios which may help. I've a sleeping bag, water, food and plenty of clothes in the boot as well as a first aid kit, quite a comprehensive one.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 October 2012, 19:00,
i dont go out, in the dark, in the ice, on my ownBig Grin thats the best prep i know.Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 October 2012, 19:06,
Get the field dressing from the glove box and fix the injury as best I can, Light a couple of red light sticks and put em in as visible spot as possible, crawl into sleeping bag, and worry.

13 October 2012, 19:07,
BP, Sometimes you have no choice. You never know what may cause it. One of you could become ill and need to be taken to hospital. It may even be bad enough that the ambulance can't make it to you.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 October 2012, 19:10,
(13 October 2012, 19:07)Skean Dhude Wrote: BP, Sometimes you have no choice. You never know what may cause it. One of you could become ill and need to be taken to hospital. It may even be bad enough that the ambulance can't make it to you.

we dont bother with road ambulances in this remote part of the country, ever heard of an Air Ambulance?? its 30 miles to A&E.............
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 October 2012, 19:24,
Dont drive so if was that hurt I wouldnt make it through the night unless I could crawl.
13 October 2012, 22:58,
(13 October 2012, 19:10)bigpaul Wrote: ever heard of an Air Ambulance?? its 30 miles to A&E.............

ever heard of grounded flights. More reason you should prepare for making the trip yourself.

Skean Dhude
14 October 2012, 00:21,
I have no car but I will base this on any standard car. I always have my knife on me so to start I would cut open my jeans to reveal the would. I would then spit in it to clean it. And I would dress it with either clothing or seat fabric. I would then fashion a hat from seat fabric to save heat. If I thought I was going to be in for I rough night then I would consider making a shelter on the side of the rd with a fire from either friction or with help from the cars battery and a rap of cloth soaked in fuel. I would make another fire in the middle of the rd to act as a rd block and signal. If I was surviving for a longer amount of time then I would make snares from wires from the car and dead fall traps ect with my knife and finding water would also be a part of a days routine. And if I saw a heli/ plane then I would take off a wheel and burn it. One at a time to save chances of getting seen.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
14 October 2012, 00:50,
If I was somewhere where I could be undiscovered for enough time for me to need snares then I would have a complete survival kit in my car at all times.

Plus I don't know about your car but I wouldn't put seat fabric on any wound.
Skean Dhude