Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pump of Straw Water Filter
7 November 2012, 19:39,
Pump of Straw Water Filter
Just in a bit of a dilemma.

What do I go for? A pump or straw style water filter. There are 2 of us in the group, and I'm thinking, we don't need a big capacity to filter.

A little help with deciding would be much appreciated.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 November 2012, 19:54,
RE: Pump of Straw Water Filter
I would say the pump, I cant imagine having to drink all your water through a straw day in day out........I would buy a pump and then at least you can drink your water out of a container
7 November 2012, 19:59,
i bought a pump s13 but when i got it ....was very small.... but does the job for 2 , cost £17 bucks but will fit in your bob ... for long term i would make my own
7 November 2012, 20:05,
(7 November 2012, 19:59)Straight Shooter Wrote: i bought a pump s13 but when i got it ....was very small.... but does the job for 2 , cost £17 bucks but will fit in your bob ... for long term i would make my own

Have you got a link? At that price, if it's small enough but still supplies 2, sounds like a good purchase.
7 November 2012, 20:44,
s13 i bought it via amazon... £27.95 sorry mate its a pureasy soldier water filter ( Vyair ( uk ) limited ) hope this helps ss
7 November 2012, 21:16,
Remember they only filter a certain amount before they run out. I have bough some of these and a stack of spare filters. Some straws only filter 700L. I want to ensure I have enough until I can set up and enable my sand filter.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 November 2012, 23:33,
Try the Katadyn ceramic pocket filter system, cost £250, but these are hard to wear out. Used one over the past 20 years in several conflict zones.
8 November 2012, 10:19,
(7 November 2012, 19:39)Scythe13 Wrote: Just in a bit of a dilemma.

What do I go for? A pump or straw style water filter. There are 2 of us in the group, and I'm thinking, we don't need a big capacity to filter.

A little help with deciding would be much appreciated.

For home / retreat use a Berkfield, for BOBs Survival or Puri straws or a Katadyn

8 November 2012, 11:46,
(8 November 2012, 10:19)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(7 November 2012, 19:39)Scythe13 Wrote: What do I go for? A pump or straw style water filter. There are 2 of us in the group, and I'm thinking, we don't need a big capacity to filter.

For home / retreat use a Berkfield, for BOBs Survival or Puri straws or a Katadyn

This is what I was thinking, but wanted to check what people have got, used, worked with, thrown away, and the alike.

This is my thought process so far:

Straw, can be attached to a CamalBak, so can rapidly sock strain debris into the bladder, add a purifier tablet or 2, then stick the filter onto the end that you drink from.....filtered and clean!!! Also, can use gravity feed to filter water while sleeping (add water to CB bladder, hand up on tree, straw at the end, let water gravity filter into a container).
The straw would have a capacity of a few hundred litres, which would be plenty for a few weeks, for 2 people.
The straw is small and light, so fits with weight and space constraints.
Seems to be best for BOBs.

The pump, has a greater filtering capacity, but cannot be used as a vertical filter while sleeping. However, the capacity to filter water quickly while stationary, is much greater! Once primed, you're getting a chunk of water with each pump of the handle.
Larger, but with greater volume of filtration. Heavier, but more versatile and possibly better at cleaning the water.
Probably best for a group situation, thus for BOL or home.

Those are my thoughts.
8 November 2012, 11:53,
At home / retreat its not just water for drinking you need, its drinking / cooking / washing up / personal hygiene so you need much much more in lock down mode than you do bimbling across the hills. Its no use eating and drinking with clean water then washing with something full of bilharsia, typhus, cholera, weils disease etc. So a simple two container GRAVITY fed filter on the kitchen work top makes sense. Cheapest way of getting one is to make your own, You need filter candles from here for example

http://www.avonsoft.com/system/index.html

Then pop into your local home brewing shop or camping shop and get two containers with lids that can stack atop each other, and a plastic spigot tap. Bingo all you need to make yerown. less than £40