Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NR needs information on certain BUDGET compound bows
16 October 2012, 13:35,
RE: NR needs information on certain BUDGET compound bows
TH my research says the opposite of what your advocating, and my tests with the bows I've got so far more than meet my requirements.

A good hunting recurve is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard except for HUNTING, that does not even remotely cover EDC Security, Patroling, shooting from confined spaces, from inside vehicles, using inside buildings etc.

As for reliability I've had two cases of delamination with the limbs on my KAP recurve and only last wednesday one of the lads at the archery clubs very expensive flat bow fractured with he strung it.

I think reliability is an issue bedeviling all types of bow TBH Smile

Budget compounds can be bulk bought and either discarded or repaired at liesure, they tend to be UNDER 3 ft long, can be held at full draw easily, can be DIY repaired with wire from B & Q. They are easier to use in semi skilled hands and are easier for smaller people like women and teens to use in a survival situation. A decent one piece recurve starts at at least 4ft long, thats just no good for my families needs as my wife is only 5 ft and my son 5 ft 3.

With a wire strung compound I only need wire , snips, crimping tool and a bit of shrink wrap to make a new string Smile I've already got 3 Banshee quads for the price of one decent recurve as well.

Recurve really do have a place in our plans but only as hunting tools I think, just as I've relegated my pistol bows to close quarters stuff.
But for anything else the under one meter length and power of the simpler compounds suits my needs best. I am intending on keeping the compounds to the most basic of layouts though, no folding arrow rests or whisker bisquits, no fancy sights, no trigger mechanisms, silencers, counter weights or other silly bits, and ideally bows with long life coated steel wire strings.

BTW just as I'm typing got an E mail back from Barnett saying they do sell replacement wheel / wire assemblys for the bows so I can always get a few to set aside as spares, but considereing you can buy Banshee quads brand new for a touch over £40......... Smile

Thanks for sharing BTW

Messages In This Thread
RE: NR needs information on certain BUDGET compound bows - by NorthernRaider - 16 October 2012, 13:35