Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long post SHTF before a city is safe to re enter?
16 October 2012, 17:33, (This post was last modified: 16 October 2012, 17:36 by bigpaul.)
RE: How long post SHTF before a city is safe to re enter?
(16 October 2012, 17:26)Ghost Wrote: SCENARIO.
What if I run out of arrows and the tools I had for making more have also broken? My only option is to enter the city and head for a shop that I know that may still have the tools to make more or maybe even some arrows that were over looked.
I am not entering the city out of choice but out of necessity. For this reason I need to know what precautions to take and how much possible danger from disease I may be facing.
do you think the archers at Agincourt ran to the shops when they ran out of arrows?? Angry

do you think the tribes in the Amazon run to the shops when they need something? no, they either make it out of natural resourses or go without! eventually everything that is left behind will run out, what will you do then??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 October 2012, 17:43, (This post was last modified: 16 October 2012, 17:48 by Ghost.)
(16 October 2012, 17:33)bigpaul Wrote:
What if I run out of arrows and the tools I had for making more have also broken? My only option is to enter the city and head for a shop that I know that may still have the tools to make more or maybe even some arrows that were over looked.
I am not entering the city out of choice but out of necessity. For this reason I need to know what precautions to take and how much possible danger from disease I may be facing.
do you think the archers at Agincourt ran to the shops when they ran out of arrows?? Angry

do you think the tribes in the Amazon run to the shops when they need something? no, they either make it out of natural resourses or go without! eventually everything that is left behind will run out, what will you do then??

Tribes in the Amazon who can't make arrows and hunt will die out! I have no intention of dying out, if my only choice is to enter a city I will.
The archers at Agincourt didn't run out of arrows so it's an irrelevant comparison.

I understand the point you are trying to make BP but I am basing my Necropolis question on my own personal need to re enter a city
(16 October 2012, 17:43)Ghost Wrote:

Tribes in the Amazon who can't make arrows and hunt will die out! I have no intention of dying out, if my only choice is to enter a city I will.
The archers at Agincourt didn't run out of arrows so it's an irrelevant comparison.

I understand the point you are trying to make BP but I am basing my Necropolis question on my own personal need to re enter a city

I just used the arrows as a possible scenario for needing to go 'back in' There may be many reasons that force me to scavenge our once great cities (Not including Birmingham)
Respect existence or expect resistance!
16 October 2012, 17:51,
(16 October 2012, 17:43)Ghost Wrote:

OK at the end of the day, its your choice and you takes your own chance, i am just saying i wouldn't go back into a city FOR ANY REASON (at any time after TSHTF) i just feel there is nothing in a city i want to
risk my life on obtaining. i would rather go without.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 October 2012, 19:07,
if its a supplies driven scenario you are better off scavenging from houses and the outskirts of population centres, ANYTHING you need will be in the countryside, almost everyone has sheds full of tools, farmers have stockpiles of supplies, if you need medicine, raid a nursing home, no joke they got lots of medicines in there, and low security, and anyone in there will be long gone by the time you get there

end of the day only reason to go into a city is to rescue someone taken by someone else, and if that happens chances are they're family and you'd be going on your own, and thus moving quickly and quietly anyway.

if anyone can think of some mystical item only found in cities please share so i can stock up Tongue
16 October 2012, 19:32,

Thats why I've got Cromwell tools, Machine Mart, Brown Bros etc marked on my maps, fortunately for us most industrial estates are often found towards the edge of cities so the risk is somewhat reduced, but not eliminated. After the Black plague ravaged Europe back whenever it took over 40 years for the last of the epidemic clusters to die out.

16 October 2012, 20:41,
Nr good info on fleas. Problem with fleas is the eggs. They can lay dormant for years,heat source(food) egg hatches in 7seconds as and the fleas on you. So stock up on tea tree oil,soap and shampoo. Lavanders also another natural repelent. Might be worth buying flea bombs if you have to bug out, new buildings could be infested, light the bomb and smoke em out.
16 October 2012, 20:46,
(16 October 2012, 20:41)Metroyeti Wrote: Nr good info on fleas. Problem with fleas is the eggs. They can lay dormant for years,heat source(food) egg hatches in 7seconds as and the fleas on you. So stock up on tea tree oil,soap and shampoo. Lavanders also another natural repelent. Might be worth buying flea bombs if you have to bug out, new buildings could be infested, light the bomb and smoke em out.

Yes excellent comment and it also re-enforces my ex military belief that everything should be gone over with a hot steam iron as well.

16 October 2012, 20:51,
There a nightmare, prehistoric vermin. Worked in the pet trade so learnt alot about them also had to share a room with them as part of my london 2012 expeirence Sad
16 October 2012, 23:02,
really, we got 9 cats, i never been bit by a flea in my life Tongue....they bite my mum like no mans business, but both me an me dad are left well alone xD

i think some people are more prone than others to flea bites xD
17 October 2012, 00:17,
C'mon, plague is not an issue. It is still endemic in some areas of the world we trade with on a regular basis but the last case of plague caught in the UK was in 1918 and that was a rare thing. It is more about personal and communal hygiene than anything else. Back when we had major deaths from plague, personal fleas were endemic, the black rat was more common and we kept our own shit in our cellars to sell. We also lived in rooms where rats would live with us - in the room, in the thatching and walking all over the place, we did not wash our selves or clothes nearly as much and so on.

I dare say if a whole family came into the UK infected with plague and did not seek medical attention, very few would die. We do have a bit of genetic immunity to it and few of us would be likely to acquire. Sure, should TSHTF, we might bathe less, change clothes less and so on, but if we were at that point, then the amount of container ships coming in would be 0. I would be more worried about spiders and snakes in the containers that I might have to ransack in a without rule of law situation than plague.

What I am getting at is - what should be the major influencing factor in your decision on why to not go into a city should be what made you stop going there in the first place V your need.

When I run out of tea and coffee, try and stop me.