Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying stuff
17 October 2012, 15:04,
buying stuff
sometimes i think that Prepping is just an excuse for some "retail therapy", just how much stuff can anyone buy or need? and where do you put it all? we dont all live in big mansions( some of us live in tiny new builds or in flats) as my OH constantly reminds me!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 October 2012, 15:20,
RE: buying stuff
Naaa my old friend different people have different lifestyles, income and level of interest in prepping. Some like the absolute basic min, others prefer to invest in more kit, some like to hunt out bargains, horses for courses I think.

17 October 2012, 17:09, (This post was last modified: 17 October 2012, 17:18 by Prepper1.)
I particularly don't like spending money on stuff full stop...
Baahhhh humbuggggg!!!
I thoroughly research anything that I'm going to buy looking for reviews and the cheapest place to buy it from.
I cant afford to throw money away, anyway the missus does that for me....HuhHuhHuh
Knowledge is the key to prepping, it unlocks the door to survive anything.
Our ancestors managed with little or no kit so to say.
We don't need it either.
It is of course a great help some modern kit BUT post shtf do we really want to go down the same path again?
I know I don't.
I'm all for a far more "rural" self reliant, make it yourself kind of life...
all I want my kit for is to ease my transition into the new way,
Money should be outlawed, so should banks and credit and governments who want to "look after you" to make your life better...
In fact anybody that wants to lead should be shot outright.
No leaders but something like a gathering of village elders to show the way.
Barter all the way, come what may absolutely NO return to the old ways, that's whats destroying the world as it is...
Power, money, wealth accumulation, greed, religion....
Maybe a great cullings not such a bad idea after all...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
17 October 2012, 17:19,
(17 October 2012, 15:20)NorthernRaider Wrote: Naaa my old friend different people have different lifestyles, income and level of interest in prepping. Some like the absolute basic min, others prefer to invest in more kit, some like to hunt out bargains, horses for courses I think.
i think i'm going to be one of the "Basic" types then, i dont think i can buy everything nor can we store everything, i think we've got most of the bases covered, after TSHTF there will be plenty of stuff lying around anyway.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 October 2012, 17:21,
(17 October 2012, 17:19)bigpaul Wrote:
(17 October 2012, 15:20)NorthernRaider Wrote: Naaa my old friend different people have different lifestyles, income and level of interest in prepping. Some like the absolute basic min, others prefer to invest in more kit, some like to hunt out bargains, horses for courses I think.
i think i'm going to be one of the "Basic" types then, i dont think i can buy everything nor can we store everything, i think we've got most of the bases covered, after TSHTF there will be plenty of stuff lying around anyway.

I think that's me as well judging by my post...
Minimalist prepper, thats me.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
17 October 2012, 17:24, (This post was last modified: 17 October 2012, 17:36 by bigpaul.)
(17 October 2012, 17:21)Prepper1 Wrote:

I think that's me as well judging by my post...
Minimalist prepper, thats me.

sounds good.
it was the post TL made about climbing helmets that made me think "Oh no! something else to buy and store....where will it end?Big Grin"
17 October 2012, 18:26,
Retail therapy can be good. But as SD has told me, "Kit is useless unless you know how to use it." That view point has caused me to greatly reduce my shopping. I stick to things I can use effectively. Was going to buy a small axe, but SD asked me how good I was at using them. Ends up I need practice as I am very unskilled with an axe. I'm still going to get one, but only once I have ample time and opportunities to use it.

"If you can't use it, don't buy it."
"If you can't buy it, don't plan for it."
"If you can't plan for it, just stick to what you can."
"If you can use it, buy it, and buy good."
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 October 2012, 18:39,

Me too, so bloody skint cannot even afford to get van fixed, I'm hoping i've got enough kit assembled now just to see me through the initial crisis period.

17 October 2012, 18:44,
Total retail therapy because each time I buy something I think might improve my chances I feel great... car boots and charity shops help the pocket
17 October 2012, 19:23,
It's just a balance. If I had a million quid in the bank I would buy every prepping item i could think of, i dont so i just buy what I need.

Knowledge is great and is probably more important than kit, but kit can make your life a hell of a lot easier. As a very simple example, having the knowledge to be able to light a fire with a just a couple of sticks is a great and important skill to have - but it is far easier to light a fire with a disposable lighter.

Some people have more money than sense but that is a good thing as well, people who buy loads of kit without thinking it through provide plenty of good and cheap second hand stuff tight gits like me can buy off them when they flog it on ebay Smile

You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected