Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
veg oil
17 October 2012, 19:52,
veg oil
in a shtf situation would i be able to run my 2002 audi 2.5 diesel on veg oil ?
17 October 2012, 20:30,
RE: veg oil
Which engine is it? The V6? I do not think it is a high pressure system so you should be OK, normally, anything that is not common rail injection is OK as long as you are aware it can kill your fuel pump and eat at seals. Being an Audi I would bet it has a Bosch fuel pump, these put up with veg well.

I would check on an audi forum to be sure.

17 October 2012, 20:31,
you'd need to filter it loads.

If you check the audi forums, they'd probably have a load more info on there.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 October 2012, 20:40,
Filter it for what? If he is using it unused, it does not need filtered. If it is used, better off turning it into Biodiesel as it will have that much water in it that it will stop an engine anyway. Will have to filter the burnt food out, dry it as best at possible then react with the methanol and sodium hydroxide to dry it further.

Better off getting an engine that can run on the oil fresh from the shops, veg oil is jut under 90p/liter. If I was running 100 veg full time I would put a second tank in, warm up the engine on diesel, have veg oil pipe work around exhaust manifold to pre-heat the oil and a switch to go from one to the other.

Warm the engine up on derv, switch to veg. When you pull up, switch back to derv, make sure engine runs on long enough to pull derv through so it starts on derv. Change oil more frequently as veg contains lots of acetone which will break the engine oil down (and seals in some cases).
17 October 2012, 22:08, (This post was last modified: 17 October 2012, 22:09 by NorthernRaider.)
(17 October 2012, 19:52)David075 Wrote: in a shtf situation would i be able to run my 2002 audi 2.5 diesel on veg oil ?

Depends on which type of fuel injector pump was fitted, but technically YES but if its got an unsuitable type of pump eventually the Veggie oil wrecks the seals in the pump.
(17 October 2012, 20:31)Scythe13 Wrote: you'd need to filter it loads.

If you check the audi forums, they'd probably have a load more info on there.

Only if it is used, Virgin oil is fine as is.

18 October 2012, 08:24,
As said before - you need the bosch injectors and can't have a common rail diesel engine. Direct injections aren't too keen on it either.

If you do run it on veg, then buy some redex - keeps the injectors nice and clean. No worries for the MOT, you get the same MPG, I actually get slightly more miles per tank on veg and I run 100%, even in the winter (pre-heater in the tank)

I does stink though, drive any distance with the windows open and you'll smell like you've done a 12 hour shift in the local chippy!

18 October 2012, 08:27,
Thanks for the replys very helpful Big Grin
18 October 2012, 08:29,
If its SHTF though, why don't you buy a 55 gallon drum of cherry? Or kero?
No VOSA bastards to dip you then. And it'll last longer
18 October 2012, 19:52,
horse and cart defo the future
to win the war, you must be willing to die