Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threats-People.
26 October 2012, 14:30,
Threats-People.
http://offgridsurvival.com/survivalthreats-people American.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 October 2012, 08:27,
RE: Threats-People.
really great read paul thanks

love this bit

Armchair Survivalists

This is another version of the reality T.V. Moron, except this guy thinks he’s prepared for anything. Chances are he has a bugout bag, loads of tactical gear, and has probably watch every episode of Man VS Wild & Doomsday Preppers.

Although he may have the right gear, he probably has no clue how to use it in a real world situation. He has seen these skills preformed on the screen, but he never took the time to learn how to do them himself. Once the SHTF, he will be no better off than the millions of other people who spent their time watching

learn to use the kit and equipment you have dont just buy it and think you are ready
27 October 2012, 09:47, (This post was last modified: 27 October 2012, 09:50 by NorthernRaider.)
(27 October 2012, 08:27)Tigs Wrote: really great read paul thanks

love this bit

Armchair Survivalists

This is another version of the reality T.V. Moron, except this guy thinks he’s prepared for anything. Chances are he has a bugout bag, loads of tactical gear, and has probably watch every episode of Man VS Wild & Doomsday Preppers.

Although he may have the right gear, he probably has no clue how to use it in a real world situation. He has seen these skills preformed on the screen, but he never took the time to learn how to do them himself. Once the SHTF, he will be no better off than the millions of other people who spent their time watching

learn to use the kit and equipment you have dont just buy it and think you are ready

Armchairs and wannabes are endemic in the British prepper world as are gear hogs, buy a PC and become a survival journalist, buy some kit and become an expert of logistics, do a weekend bushcraft course and suddenly become a survival expert. I've been doing this for over 30 years and I still think I'm a novice especially when i read well researched and written projects from people like Light Speed, Paul, Nemesis, Ken etc.
Note also the number of diabetics saying they are doomed, the vast majority of American diabetics are type 2s, they got that way by eating themselves so fat they became diabetic, many of them would recover if they lost weight. type ones are the poor sods whose systems go wrong through no fault of their own.

27 October 2012, 10:47,
Before anyone gets upset, this is aimed at prepping forums in general and not this forum in particular Smile

The prepping world seems full of internet warriors and armchair survivalists. There are plenty of normal decent preppers as well but unfortunately too many of the others are just fantasists and full of shit. Everyone talks the talk on the internet but as soon as it involves getting off your arse and actually doing stuff, meeting up, sharing skills and stuff, no one turns up - and in a lot of cases it's because they have been talking crap all the time and dont want to be found out. I still look at forums but I stopped using them as a serious way of networking and linking up with other preppers long ago.

I find it all depressing to be honest
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
27 October 2012, 10:54,
(27 October 2012, 10:47)IB1 Wrote: Before anyone gets upset, this is aimed at prepping forums in general and not this forum in particular Smile

The prepping world seems full of internet warriors and armchair survivalists. There are plenty of normal decent preppers as well but unfortunately too many of the others are just fantasists and full of shit. Everyone talks the talk on the internet but as soon as it involves getting off your arse and actually doing stuff, meeting up, sharing skills and stuff, no one turns up - and in a lot of cases it's because they have been talking crap all the time and dont want to be found out. I still look at forums but I stopped using them as a serious way of networking and linking up with other preppers long ago.

I found this out the year before last when i set up a RV on unwanted knitting patterns and only one person turned up(NR), this year was a little better with 2 or 3 people attending, the trouble is with a national forum people are so spread out, if TSHTF tomorrow there is no way we could form a survival group, it would be every person for themselves and hope to meet up when the dust settles..whenever that is!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 October 2012, 13:46, (This post was last modified: 27 October 2012, 13:53 by NorthernRaider.)
(27 October 2012, 10:47)IB1 Wrote: Before anyone gets upset, this is aimed at prepping forums in general and not this forum in particular Smile

I used to but in the end I just stopped caring, out of 999 fantasists etc i usually find one serious prepper that I can interact with, many of the families I have worked with over the years ARE preppers but would never ever refer to themselves as such. Offgridders, down sizers, greens etc , I used to spend immense amounts of time trying to persuade people to relocate if they lived in risky places, but I hear so much BS in the end I dont even bother trying to try any more, I just write them off as armchairs.
Over the years I have attended eleven or twelve RVs often driving over 650 mile round trips from up here to the south west, Birmingham, Bristol, Yeovil etc , I learned the hard way that one thing not in short supply is BS from " Preppers" who cannot even make the effort to drive only 50 miles even with a years notice.

Not enough notice ( a YEAR !!!! )
to far to travel !!! I travelled 325 miles
the wifes wooden leg needs polishing
its not convenient
but the bit i used to go mad about was the sad pathetic losers who would say for months " I'll be there" then just not turn up.

I had one turn up at a tiny little gathering I had near Pately Bridge, he had twice before promised to come and then just not turned up, so when he turned up unexpectedly I chased the twat off.

27 October 2012, 13:55,
I have only been on forums for the last 3 years, but i have heard all the excuses there are for not moving, work, family, house prices etc. right down to a conversation i once had with a guy from London who wouldnt move cos he'd miss his morning take away coffee!! if someone is SERIOUS about moving then they will do it, anything else is just B.S.
27 October 2012, 13:58,
look around all the forums and make your own minds up, thats the best way.

27 October 2012, 14:04,
since prepping has become more popular, you tend to get all variations of "prepper" and the vast majority cant be bothered to get off their backsides! i read on a recent forum(not this one) how one lady said she wanted to do bushcraft but could only do it in her back garden!??Angry another person said they were house bound but wanted to be accepted as a "prepper"!!w.t.f.? i have long given up on other sites as an actual member but just visit now and again to laugh at some of the inane B.S.
27 October 2012, 14:56,
Part of the problem is that apart from the many arseholes and bs artists on prepping sites, even genuine preppers commitment varies widely and that can cause issues. Thats not saying that you have to be some big hairy arsed hardcore survivalist and everyone who isn't is just paying lip service to it, just that some people dont give it as high a priority as others so dont see the need to meet or link up.

Some people are happy just buying a couple of tins of beans and chatting about it on the internet and nothing more and good luck to them, but it does really limit the number of people who are of the same mindset as your own and who you would want to link up with either prior to or after an event.

Mind you, I can be a miserable and obnoxious bastard myself so maybe thats why i havent met up with any fellow preppers for a few years Smile

You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected