Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel uses
28 October 2012, 13:16,
Diesel uses
Apologies if this seems a daft 1 but, apart from diesel cars & diesel generators (of which I don't have either), is there any other uses for diesel after shtf? Perhaps cooking or heating or something.

Only reason I ask is I can get red diesel from a friend but can't think what to use it for so haven't bought any for stores as of yet.

Any ideas???
28 October 2012, 13:27,
RE: Diesel uses
red diesel is used for heating quite alot (its usually whats in your oil tank)

i remember one story about some chavs nicking copper pipe from a commercial garden, they nicked a 4-5ft length of copper pipe, but spilt a quarter of a million pounds worth of red diesel by doing so (was being used to heat greenhouses)

also red diesel is similar to normal car diesel, but the normal one is taxed a hell of alot more Tongue (dont use it in your car as using the cheaper red diesel is classed as tax evasion and they'll fuck you over Tongue)

basically anything where you need some combustible fuel or have a car or genny that runs off diesel Smile
28 October 2012, 13:39,
I've had a quick browse for uses but all I can seem to find (apart from the obvious) is for the big rocket type heaters. I think they would be too big for home use.

I just thought as I can get it for relatively cheap, I may aswell explore its usefulness to me.

So for its not proving useful for me though.
28 October 2012, 13:41, (This post was last modified: 28 October 2012, 13:47 by NorthernRaider.)
(28 October 2012, 13:16)Geordie_Rob Wrote: Apologies if this seems a daft 1 but, apart from diesel cars & diesel generators (of which I don't have either), is there any other uses for diesel after shtf? Perhaps cooking or heating or something.

Only reason I ask is I can get red diesel from a friend but can't think what to use it for so haven't bought any for stores as of yet.

Any ideas???

Running farm equipment, plant equipment, firing boilers, killing tree stumps, powering site heaters, multi fuel stoves, its much safer than petrol and its easier to store safely and its easier to tresat with preservatives.
Boats, trucks, gennies, vans, plant equpment, JCBs, ploughs, agricultural quads, space heaters, many cars, buses, diesel locos all use diesel so many preppers drive diesels so they can salvage fuel from multiple locations after TSHTF whilst petrol car owners can only salvage from other cars, petrol stations and lawn mowers.

THE CASE FOR DIESEL

Yes I know there are far more people driving Cars, Vans, SUVs’s , Pickups, 4X4’s etc with petrol (gasoline) powered engines than there are driving similar vehicles running Diesel engines, But hang on a moment is that a good thing for us claiming to be switched on survivalists?

Some points I think need chewing over by the preparedness communities especially those with retreats, homesteads, secure homes and bug out plans.

If (or more likely when) TSHTF and fuel availability & storage becomes a major issue what will society in general start doing?

Let’s accept that most of us already keep our vehicles topped off most of the time and also keep a few gallons of fuel stored for “The Day” but nearly all of us must admit that overall we have not got enough fuel cached to get by with.

Question? What is the general public going to do as soon as finding fuel supplies become difficult?

Answer, yes they are going to form huge queues at almost every petrol (gas) station they can, the rest of this tale you already know, huge queues, long waits, rationing, violence, riots, people getting killed for a gallon of fuel. The public will go berserk in next to no time at all.
(This scenario came 100% spot on accurate during the 2005 hurricane season in the US)

So what are the big boys and the prepared people doing?

What do the Railways (Railroads), Truckers, Maritime trade, leisure boats use as fuel? What do farmers choose as fuel for their tractors, ploughs, etc? What do the military choose to power their vehicles?

Diesel, Yes Diesel, This fuel is found almost everywhere a survivalist would choose to look. It’s safer to handle and store than petrol, it’s got a better shelf life untreated than petrol and it’s used to power most of our commerce.

Next time you are out and about take a look around and try to identify places you could ‘Source’ petrol (gas) and diesel. Petrol in general is only available at fuel stations and in other petrol powered vehicles (cars, lawn mowers and jet skis?).It’s only found in fairly small quantities as well. If you are lucky you will be able to fill your vehicle and a few jerry cans from a retail source before government restrictions or shortages become an issue.

But look at places you can find diesel in an emergency and in what quantities? Trucks alone have tanks that carry many hundreds of gallons of diesel, truck stops hold huge amounts in comparison to petrol stations. Look at your local railroad locomotive, even the smallest carry 1500 gallons of diesel whilst the mainline locos can carry as much as 6000 gallons.

Also in recent years modern diesel engines have advanced technologically, to a point that the power issues that traditionally separated diesel vehicles from petrol (gas) powered vehicles has been eroded. So that unless you are into sports cars a turbo diesel can and will match your gasoline powered car in everything except the 0-60 MPH stakes, plus modern diesels are still more economical than petrol engines.

Then of course when it comes to the reliability and vulnerability aspects of comparing the two types of engine diesel wins hands down.

I am also advised that certain types of heating oil can be used to run a diesel engine. Certainly after the lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina you need to carry enough fuel to travel 3x the distance to your retreat, this allows for diversions and long periods of very slow driving in heavy traffic.

So in closing if you have a rural retreat or bug out plans and you believe that sourcing fuel is going to be a major issue common sense directs you to choose the good old compression ignition engine.

28 October 2012, 20:02,
hi,
are the stoves you mentioned the coleman type stoves? can you suggest any others? i have started to put diesal and petrol to one side, my vehical is petrol, and on another post i was told you can use diesal for hurican lamps (although they will smoke a little) so i put some aside.
28 October 2012, 20:08,
Some military grade nato numbered cookers could burn parafin, petrol, avgas or diesel, Thats all I can remember, as for Stoves in the generic sense I remember the desert army diesel cooker was just a big tin filled with sand and diesel was added, bit of cloth as a wick and that was it. Diesel SHOULD burn in better Hurricane lamps but cos its not as highly refined as parafin it will be sootier.

28 October 2012, 21:16,
So it may work in my paraffin lamp? Might be worth it then considering price of paraffin.
28 October 2012, 22:08,
MAY being the operative word, equally you may be able to trade it with people who have parafin and candle wax cached?

29 October 2012, 07:19,
there are domestic/ marine diesel heaters http://reiss.wordpress.com/equipment-com...n-of-oven/ and http://www.boatantiques.com/products-pag...tic-diesel

and diesel stoves http://www.yorkshire-cadets.co.uk/pressu...toves.html other than the colmans