Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we list useful skills for preppers to learn NOW
29 October 2012, 19:17,
RE: Can we list useful skills for preppers to learn NOW
(28 October 2012, 23:14)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(28 October 2012, 23:08)Sichr20 Wrote: Personally I could do with spending a few days on each of these subjects. It's kind of ironic that I was given the chance to learn most of this growing up but wasn't interested.

I admit I struggled to pass on many skills I learned over the years to my families kids cos they dont / wont listen to dad / uncle NR. I ended up getting into even more bloody debt sending the little sods to summer camps and venture holidays so they learned stuff like
Map reading
Pony Trekking
Canoeing
Shelter building
Archery
Fire lighting
Quad driving
etc

I know it doesn't cover all the items on the list, but a spell in Scouts will teach kids a lot of the basic skills, as well as some of the "softer" stuff, such as team-working, leadership and conflict handling. Scouts is not very expensive, at around 3 quid a week. Our group has a uniform and kit exchange programme to keep costs down for parents. Camps, etc cost extra, but we'd never turn a kid away if the parents genuinely couldn't afford it. All my three lads have been through it, from Cubs through to their mid-teens, and they all grew in capability and maturity as a result.

I'm a warranted leader and have also learned a lot (sometimes from the kids!)
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we list useful skills for preppers to learn NOW - by Tarrel - 29 October 2012, 19:17