Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Grylls: The Sting
29 October 2012, 15:53,
Bear Grylls: The Sting
[Image: grylls-bee3.gif]

1- Bear Grylls raids a bees nest but takes a sting to the forehead
2- Yummy honey!
3- But the price is high as the sting takes effect and his face swells up so much that he can hardly see.
He rubbed honey on the site of the sting to try to reduce the pain but it didn't have much effect, what could he have used instead?

VID- http://youtu.be/o-aOqb0Wmmk

PS- has anybody here been stung? What was it like?
I think I was stung once in my life when a wasp flew down my open-neck shirt while i was cycling and stung me on the breastbone but it was no worse than a mild nettle sting, that's why I say "I think" I was stung, I can't be sure. Maybe it just bit me or something instead..Smile
29 October 2012, 15:55,
RE: Bear Grylls: The Sting
having an allergy to stings can really help with facial swelling haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 October 2012, 16:00,
Ive been stung once jumped into bed one night turned round a bit and felt what i thought was a nail or shard of glasss jagging into my arse jumped out of bed and there it was a wasp .
29 October 2012, 16:05,
Bear Grylls is an arrogant arsehole and the LAST person i would want near me in a SHTF situation....he'll get everyone around him injured or killed in very quick time...he takes too many chances.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 October 2012, 16:17,
(29 October 2012, 16:05)bigpaul Wrote: he'll get everyone around him injured or killed in very quick time...he takes too many chances.

Oddly, that's why I like him haha.

It's great entertainment, but people need to realise he has a safety team with him, and having people believe they can do such things is very simply.....funny. The kinds of people he will get killed are the same kind that some people call retarded or mentally handicapped (not in the actual sense, but just when someone is a fricking idiot) and what I call Mentally Hilarious!!! It is those that The Darwin Awards was created for, that will die from copying Grylls. Normal (sane) people know that pole-vaulting across a river in the Amazon, is not the easiest thing to do.
29 October 2012, 16:22,
Hes a risk taker for his tv show, not a bad role model lets face it hes alot better than david beckham or some make up glad goon from towie.

He should tried to smoke them out before he raided the nest
29 October 2012, 16:23,
I fell onto a wasps nest as a child, got stung over 500 times according to my medical records, I dont remember much about it cept the agony and trying to fend the bastards off, A woman saw what was going on and pulled me into her house and she plunged me into a bath full of water to drown the bastards, her hubby had to tape up her front door lettterbox and keyhole cos the wasps were still trying to get in at me. They both got stung dozens of times, I was stung all over (I was wearing only shorts and a t shirt) in my mouth, in my nose and ears, my eyes were stung as was my tongue, dozens in my scalp, all over my body, my groin area, legs, only the soles of my feet didnt get stung.

I was in hospital for weeks, most of the time fortunately in a coma, I dont like wasps, i make it my mission to kill them at every opportunity.

29 October 2012, 16:25, (This post was last modified: 29 October 2012, 16:29 by T-oddity.)
I keep a few bees and have been stung a number of times, the reaction can vary depending on many factors,
The stings tend to be more potent in spring and early summer when colonies are growing, whilst later in the year or if the bee is near to the end of its life span the sting is less so.
As far as bee stings are concerned the bee leaves the sting and venom sack behind to continue pumping venom into you, so this needs to be removed as quick as possible, scrape out with a blunt edge such as the edge of a credit card or a finger nail.
Wasps and hornets retain their sting and can sting multiple times, the venom can be sucked out if done quickly, I have a venom kit with suction pump for this purpose.
The worst reaction I have had was this last spring when I was stung on the hand when working on one of my hives, I did nothing about it until I had finished what I was doing, my arm ballooned like you would not believe to the amusement of friend and familyAngry
Did the arthritis in my elbow the world of good though.
If you wish to build up your immunity to bee stings you can, by having about 50+ stings a yearExclamation
There are a few remedies out there for helping to reduce the itch of the sting but they wont stop the swelling much.
As far Bear Grylls is concerned I've got not time for him he's just a right pratt.
Christ NR you were lucky to survive that, an attack that severe is often fatal
(29 October 2012, 16:23)NorthernRaider Wrote: I fell onto a wasps nest as a child, got stung over 500 times according to my medical records, I dont remember much about it cept the agony and trying to fend the bastards off, A woman saw what was going on and pulled me into her house and she plunged me into a bath full of water to drown the bastards, her hubby had to tape up her front door lettterbox and keyhole cos the wasps were still trying to get in at me. They both got stung dozens of times, I was stung all over (I was wearing only shorts and a t shirt) in my mouth, in my nose and ears, my eyes were stung as was my tongue, dozens in my scalp, all over my body, my groin area, legs, only the soles of my feet didnt get stung.

I was in hospital for weeks, most of the time fortunately in a coma, I dont like wasps, i make it my mission to kill them at every opportunity.

Christ you were lucky to survive, an attack like that can often be fatal
29 October 2012, 16:29,
(29 October 2012, 16:22)Metroyeti Wrote: He should tried to smoke them out before he raided the nest

He did try to do that. But one landed on his forehead. He picked it off, but not quick enough. He got stung and found out he was allergic to them.
29 October 2012, 16:33,
(29 October 2012, 16:29)Scythe13 Wrote:
(29 October 2012, 16:22)Metroyeti Wrote: He should tried to smoke them out before he raided the nest

He did try to do that. But one landed on his forehead. He picked it off, but not quick enough. He got stung and found out he was allergic to them.

Looks like a general reaction, rather than an allergic reaction, not serious unless it affects the airway, servs him right for being a pratt