Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap knives
30 October 2012, 10:34,
Cheap knives
As someone new to prepping & wanting to get as much in my stores as possible, what's the general thoughts on cheap knives?

I've seen a 16inch machete for £4-50 +p&p (postage is free in my case as I'm buying other things to qualify for free postage). I know it's not going to be the best of quality but would it be worth buying with a view to replacing it when finances allow?

Part of me is thinking why buy it just to replace it, but another part of me is thinking if I bought it, at least I would have something stored incase SHTF.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Cheers

Rob
30 October 2012, 10:39,
RE: Cheap knives
Deepblue in whitley bay sell some good knives in a plastic sheath for five or six quid.

Machete wise I have a brilliant british army machete, and a 3foot one with saw blade on the back, british army one is my favourite, gerber are meant to do good uns
30 October 2012, 10:40,
I've just ordered one of these. I know it's only a 10" blade but I find that more concealable.

http://www.bhipltd.co.uk/gerber-gator-jr...re=default

I've heard good reviews, and this is the cheapest I've seen it online and with free delivery

“When an empire fears for its survival, its prime has passed.”
30 October 2012, 10:41,
mora blades all the way pal
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
30 October 2012, 10:51,
This is the 1 I've seen

http://www.leisurefayre.com/product.php/...ive_sheath

I'm not expecting it to be the best of knives but not sure if its worth a punt.
30 October 2012, 10:57,
wot will you use it for pal
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
30 October 2012, 10:58,
Alright GR,

This is a very good question. One I've been playing around with.

The basic thought process went like this: What is better, a £100+ knife, or a cheaper £10-£20 knife.

Well, truth be told....the cheaper knife was just as good, and somehow worked out much better than the more expensive one. There is a video by Nutnfancy (on youtube) where he did just that. Tested an expensive one, and a cheaper one. Cheaper one won. But that might not always be the case.

With a machete, lets be fair, there's not LOADS you can do with them. They're a chunk of sharpened metal, and do a good job as long as their blade is sharp. The only real differences is the metal, the shape, and the handle. Most other things fall into one of these categories.

Personally, for knives, I have a simple rule. We need a ratio of 3:2:1. We should have 3 smaller knives, for every 2 big knives, and 1 machete. When walking around, EDC, I like to have 1 big and 1 small knife. But a machete isn't really much use in the UK unless you're fighting or gardening.

I've managed to dent my Gerber Gator (SD saw it and was impressed I'd managed to do that). Having said that, they are great machete's, but what for, it the main question. Gardening or fighting? I'd stick to bigger knives, instead of a full on machete.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 October 2012, 11:07,
Well I can use it gardening (got my own gardening business) or on the boat (things like line caught around the prop or not getting too close to conger eels - the teeth on those things are HUGE!!).

But I was thinking more defensive use should anything happen.

Rob
30 October 2012, 11:16, (This post was last modified: 30 October 2012, 11:16 by Metroyeti.)
Eels scare me, found a dead one in ireland about ten foot long
I really want a tomahawk for defence.
30 October 2012, 11:26,
I'll admit I've only seen 1 up close & personal. Was still enough to make me crap myself though, they are nasty through & through.