Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Families and their wishes.
30 October 2012, 21:41,
Families and their wishes.
Some of you have partners who are agreeable with your prepping goals yet how many would be happy to bug out and rough it in an off grid BOL, indefinitely?

What about your children?
Would they give up the creature comforts of computers, hot running water, and central heating for a life of basic living?
Have you even asked them?

I posed that question to my wife and got the honest answer of "I don't really know".

Short term, during an emergency the common sense in bugging out for a short while is agreeable BUT long term?
Doubt creeps in.

It's inevitable I suppose, the nesting instinct is often too strong for even reasoned argument yet is it something you've considered.

Take the worse case scenario.
You have to bug out and your partner and family dig their collective heels in and decide to stay.

What would YOU DO then?
Fly or stay and fight?

What's your real survival instinct?
You alone or you and your own.

I'm be interested in your answers.
30 October 2012, 21:53,
RE: Families and their wishes.
I'll be staying but if push came to shove I wouldn't leave them. They would be open to discussion but perhaps one cannot be moved for medical reasons.

You much decide your priorities, me amd mine, and adapt to protect them.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 October 2012, 21:56,
I would not leave my family, but fortunately for me they understand the importance of good prepping plans.

30 October 2012, 22:23,
i could not leave mine,got no problem with wifey..but i have a major problem with my daughters but.......when wifey gets started i think they would come around.... as a last resort i would kidnap the grandchildren... not joking here ... it will fall on my shoulders to take action , they would know where to find us, they just don,t get it YET but they will soon i have prepped for them i think for them just like any other dad does , and planned for this senareo....there will be planned little talks to get em up to speed.
30 October 2012, 22:29,
My family would not want to leave, as they have no plans like that. I have tried repeatedly to get the message across, but they just don't care for it. I think they can see the sense in storing food, having a car emergency kit, etc, but are just totally apathetic; all the preparation has been done by me, as I still live at home until I finish my A-Levels. They roll their eyes and think I'm crazy. They are also total hoplophobes. Bugging in is the only option for me ATM
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
30 October 2012, 22:32,
(30 October 2012, 22:29)Tibbs735 Wrote: My family would not want to leave, as they have no plans like that. I have tried repeatedly to get the message across, but they just don't care for it. I think they can see the sense in storing food, having a car emergency kit, etc, but are just totally apathetic; all the preparation has been done by me, as I still live at home until I finish my A-Levels. They roll their eyes and think I'm crazy. They are also total hoplophobes. Bugging in is the only option for me ATM

so thats just a constraint you have to work with, its not hopeless it just requires much adapation and a shit load of extra planning, We all have to work with the hard of cards we are dealt with, you are clearly an inteligent young man and should be able to develop a bugged in prepping plan to improve things.

30 October 2012, 22:33,
I wouldn't leave them to fend for themselves but she is onboard to the extent that she would trust me if i said we had to get out.

Illness is a worry though, if she couldnt leave because of illness and had to go to a government evac centre because of medical needs then I would have to go with her. Thats about the only way i would end up in one.
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
30 October 2012, 23:58,
(30 October 2012, 22:29)Tibbs735 Wrote: My family would not want to leave, as they have no plans like that. I have tried repeatedly to get the message across, but they just don't care for it. I think they can see the sense in storing food, having a car emergency kit, etc, but are just totally apathetic; all the preparation has been done by me, as I still live at home until I finish my A-Levels. They roll their eyes and think I'm crazy. They are also total hoplophobes. Bugging in is the only option for me ATM

That can change in a heartbeat after an event and something happens. They could quickly turn the other way and want to get out. Keep prepping and don't assume that they won't change their minds plan for either option.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
31 October 2012, 00:24,
My kids would be with me 100% and if it came to the push and bugging out was the only option then my mam would see reason (and possibly realise I'm not as crazy as she thinks ha ha) I only have 1 brother and his wife, I'm not making any plans with them at present but am thinking I might speak to him soon about it, only problem is that he works abroad for 3 weeks every other 3 weeks....
31 October 2012, 00:49,
I think it's OK to have a sceptical family, provided you don't mind doing the lion's share of the prep work yourself, and provided scepticism isn't so great thatnit prevents you from preparing.

What may seem like a crazy or unpalatable idea to family members now will, I'm sure, be looked upon differently when the rioters are in the next street. Question is; will it be too late then?

I'm always vexed by the issue of when is the right time to bug out. In other words, at what point does the boiling frog leap out of the pan? Less so now we have relocated, but before, when we were in the Southeast, it used to concern me and I never really came up with a firm answer.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.