Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pemmican
1 November 2012, 13:17,
Pemmican
Has anyone ever made pemmican before? If so what are your thoughts on it regarding making it, storage & of course, eating it.

I've seen the article on the man site & also researched it a bit online.

I fancy making some if I get around to it & seeing what it's like. I'm thinking it could be a good addition to GHB, car kit etc..

Cheers

Rob
1 November 2012, 13:41,
RE: Pemmican
Never made it, but from what I can tell, it does seem pretty good. Having said that, it also seems to be VERY calorie heavy, which isn't really going to be much use when travelling long distances in a short space of time. For a week of travel, I think it would be stunning. Arctic or mountain use....ideal. For use where you need 10'000 calories a day it would be perfect. However, if you need only 3000-4000 calories, then I'd much rather opt for a mix with more carbs in it. Something like flapjacks or trail mix style.

I make VERY high protein flapjacks, and add a few things, like cinnamon, green tea extract, and a bit more, to stop an insulin spike and thus allowing a nice slow release of fuel for my body. That is what I have packed for my GHB....that and a load of chocolate. But the choc is only really for night travel or when I'm feeling really tired. The chocolate will give a boost, but will only kick start energy levels until the flapjacks take effect.

If snowboarding, and maybe for this winter, I'll probably make up some Pemmican, and see what it's like.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 November 2012, 14:10,
Pemmicans? Big bird thingys that eat fish ? Smile

1 November 2012, 19:32,
never heard of it.... what you talking about ?
1 November 2012, 19:34,
Used by early polar explorers. From what I've heard it's supposed to be pretty disgusting, but I have never actually tried it.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
1 November 2012, 20:01, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2012, 20:03 by Geordie_Rob.)
A 50/50 mix of fat & dried meat. Originally used by Eskimos (I think), adopted by artic explorers.

Meant to be a high calorie survival food that stores indefinitely.

If it tastes awful though ill give it a miss.
Or even Arctic explorers. Since there isn't much call for exploring artic lorries Smile
2 November 2012, 07:05,
http://www.wildernesscollege.com/pemmican-recipes.html
2 November 2012, 09:12,
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-ma...z2B3Dex1a8
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue