Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NR wants to buy a stealth aerial for his CB
2 November 2012, 22:18,
NR wants to buy a stealth aerial for his CB
Guys dont even attempt to confuse me with the usual techobabble you guys use as language.

I am looking to buy a CB aerial made from wire than I can pin up in my loft (not outside) It needs to be tuned to operate in the 27 FM UK / 27 CEPT Bands with the lowest SWR on Ch 20 27.79125 Mhz.

I want it to run through my loft I have a total roof length to play with of 5.7 meters in which to string it up.

The aerial connector to the rig needs to be supplied with something called a PL259 connector and the connecting wire needs to be 5 meters long at least.

Quotes to make one or point me to the right shop please ?
NR

2 November 2012, 22:20,
RE: NR wants to buy a stealth aerial for his CB
Do they still have the cb trucker shop at birtley?
Thats as far as my radio knowledge goes
2 November 2012, 22:22, (This post was last modified: 2 November 2012, 22:35 by NorthernRaider.)
(2 November 2012, 22:20)Metroyeti Wrote: Do they still have the cb trucker shop at birtley?
Thats as far as my radio knowledge goes

IIRC your refering to the CB shop inside Birtley Truck stop near the Angel, its closed and demolished as far as I know.
I think this is the sort of thing I need, but from the UK of course ??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Falcon-New-240...27cc83be44

3 November 2012, 01:01,
NR, Unless you're into SSB DX, a horizontal dipole is not going to suit you for local FM contact as the majority of users local to you will be using vertical antennas.If you want a dipole I'd be inclined to buy the bits and make it yourself! THEY ARE EASY! They are cheap, save your money for something else.

If you really cannot mount anything outside, you will be restricted by the height of your loft for a vertical of some type.

Hope this helps.

3 November 2012, 01:06,
The CB shop in Birtley is still there - or it was earlier in the year. It is in Vigo. I drive past it now and again.

http://www.birtleycbservices.com/
3 November 2012, 01:07,
Something like this if you're determined to buy ready made?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIRIO-SIGNAL-K...46097b0ed0
3 November 2012, 10:04, (This post was last modified: 3 November 2012, 10:08 by Lightspeed.)
(2 November 2012, 22:18)NorthernRaider Wrote: Guys dont even attempt to confuse me with the usual techobabble you guys use as language.

I am looking to buy a CB aerial made from wire than I can pin up in my loft (not outside) It needs to be tuned to operate in the 27 FM UK / 27 CEPT Bands with the lowest SWR on Ch 20 27.79125 Mhz.

I want it to run through my loft I have a total roof length to play with of 5.7 meters in which to string it up.

The aerial connector to the rig needs to be supplied with something called a PL259 connector and the connecting wire needs to be 5 meters long at least.

Quotes to make one or point me to the right shop please ?
NR

Perfect length to string up a horixontal dipole NR, and just connect to a coax feeder in the middle using choc block connectors and solder on a PL259 plug at the other end.
I think for your intek you'd need a BNC connector or BNC to SO 259 adaptor to accept a PL259 plug You need to check this out and decide.

MAYBE WE CAN CONVINCE SD INTO SUPPLYING PRE CUT LENGTHS OF THAT HUGE LENGTH OF WIRE HE HAS? HE COULD SELL THE DIY DIPOLES IN ORDER TO CLAW BACK A LITTLE OF THE COST HE INCURS IN RUNNING THIS SIGHT??? Just an idea, and I haven't asked SD about it up front, so he may be totally against it.

BoB has made a good point. Local operation on FM tends to need vertical antennas.

Maybe consider making two antennas one horizontal in the loft and the other vertical. In the old days we used to make vertical CB antennas to pop out of the loft roof ( at night) by sliding a roof tile out of place to poke the antenna through. With an antenna made like BoB and Paul have suggested, this might work for you? as an idea?

Paul has previously described how very good results can be achieved using a dipole strung up as an inverted V in the eaves of a house... You probably have room to string one of these up from the apex of your loft with the arms running down the rafters.
An inverted V has the advantage of being both horizontally and Vetrically polarised at the same time so will work qiote well for local and distance communications.
(3 November 2012, 01:07)Bug_out_Bag Wrote: Something like this if you're determined to buy ready made?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIRIO-SIGNAL-K...46097b0ed0

Hi Bob,

Thanks for sharing this, butalthough I have not ever used this antenna my instinct is that it is so short that its performance will be very compromised, especially if operating inside a loft space.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 November 2012, 10:57,
Couldn't agree more LS but NR doesnt seem comfortable to make his own , the ubiquitous DV27 on a baking tray would probably siffice but I think he tried that ages ago just before he gave his equipment away to some disabled fella ... remember?

OK that's it! I'm QRT! Big Grin
3 November 2012, 11:05,
(3 November 2012, 10:57)Bug_out_Bag Wrote: Couldn't agree more LS but NR doesnt seem comfortable to make his own , the ubiquitous DV27 on a baking tray would probably siffice but I think he tried that ages ago just before he gave his equipment away to some disabled fella ... remember?

OK that's it! I'm QRT! Big Grin

That selfish twat turned the offer of a free CB down, didnt want to lash out for a PSU !!!, So I've still got it, but its about as useless as a chocolate fire guard. £120 wasted.

3 November 2012, 11:14,

Hey NR, Want to swop it for one of these wind up transceivers? Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Midland-Base-C...0855734218