Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Dig Cultivation
6 November 2012, 17:51,
RE: No Dig Cultivation
Here is a link to the main man on no dig in the UK, I have a couple of his books and highly recomend his recent book Charles Dowding's vegatable course.
http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/Homepage

PJ if you have access to horse muck and sea weed you've got it made mate, just let it rot down well and keep adding it on top of your soil.Cool

I initialy cleared my plot by covering as much of it as I could with plastic weed suppressing material, I bought a big roll of the stuff from screwfix for about £50, a bit of an expence but it was worth it in the long run, I cut the material in lengths to streatch the width of my allotment plot and sealed the ends with a small blow torch to stop it fraying and just held it down with old bricks and tyres etc, I left it for at least six months to kill off most of the grass and annual weeds and then uncovered a strip at a time to fork out the tougher weeds like docs, dandelions and twitch.
After that it was very much a case of hoe, hoe, hoe to kill of all the fresh weeds that came up, three years on I have very few weeds appearing and those that do are easy to deal with even the dandelions are readily pulled out by hand.
I recon this year I've spent far less time working on my plot than previous years, but have still had a good harvest of produce, I spend far more time sourcing horse muck and making compost than any other job on the allotment.
There is no better feeling than sitting down to a meal knowing that everything on the plate is either grown, foraged or caught by yourselfBig Grin

Messages In This Thread
No Dig Cultivation - by PrepperJohn - 6 November 2012, 12:41
RE: No Dig Cultivation - by Tartar Horde - 6 November 2012, 14:58
RE: No Dig Cultivation - by PrepperJohn - 6 November 2012, 15:03
RE: No Dig Cultivation - by Tartar Horde - 6 November 2012, 15:12
RE: No Dig Cultivation - by Prepper1 - 6 November 2012, 15:47
RE: No Dig Cultivation - by T-oddity - 6 November 2012, 17:51
RE: No Dig Cultivation - by Tibbs735 - 6 November 2012, 23:31
RE: No Dig Cultivation - by T-oddity - 7 November 2012, 17:12
RE: No Dig Cultivation - by bigpaul - 7 November 2012, 18:01
RE: No Dig Cultivation - by Tartar Horde - 10 November 2012, 12:45
RE: No Dig Cultivation - by Tibbs735 - 10 November 2012, 17:55