Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold weather set of cloths list
10 November 2012, 17:54,
Cold weather set of cloths list
Hi guy's

I'm starting from a zero base of cold weather cloths and limited experience and am confused by the wide selection of stuff

I'm looking to put together an one set of affordable set of cold weather cloths to go with my bug out bag / 72hr bag, based on army surplus. I could do with some advise as i want to avoid wasting ££ and getting wrong stuff

I'm looking for a layered system so it can be scaled up and down also water resistant / proof [inc trousers] any suggestions and value online stores.

Thanks in advance

10 November 2012, 18:01,
RE: Cold weather set of cloths list
I hope this helps I was given it by another member
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
10 November 2012, 18:06,
i dont go for brands or labels, i pick stuff up that suits me, i buy a lot on Ebay!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 November 2012, 18:10,
Another option could be small markets you occansionally a small buisness starting up we have a couple of stalls where I live one is overpriced the other is a small set up or carboots not everyone like these but you can get some good bargains
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
10 November 2012, 19:07, (This post was last modified: 10 November 2012, 19:10 by NorthernRaider.)
Cotton extra long, long sleeved T shirt
Micro fleece 1/4 zip shirt from Regatta or Mountain warehouse / MOD Norgy Shirt
Regatta or dare 2 be or Mountyain warehouse hooded soft shell (sometimes foil lined or fleece lined)
Regatta or Dare 2 be skiiing parka, or MOD DPM windproof Winter smock
Buff
NI gloves or Mechanix gloves or Kona gloves
Magnum or similar boots
I shop for a lot of my gear at Factory retail outlets like Dalton park where firms like Regattta and Craghoppers often have discount stores, also army surplus stores can be good places to look, if you go to Smiffs and get a copy of Combat & survival theres usually loads of adds and revues for decent kit.

11 November 2012, 00:25,
Nr, I do as bigpaul does,
I also pick stuff up that suits me.
Mostly cheap stuff, I'm a layers man.
Occasionally getting clothing from surplusandadventure.com
Good reliable firm.

11 November 2012, 09:59,
For cold weather, your clothing will probably cost a fair bit more. It all depends how cold you want to go.

I've got snow gear good to sub 20 temps! Most I have are sub 10's, as they're lighter and slightly more breathable.

It really is just a game of layers, activity, and working out how much you're going to need.

The temp of your body will be higher, if you're more active. For example, I find myself in a tshirt and waterproof while on the slopes, however, if I'm walking around town or just sat around in the snow, I need LOADS more!!!

The best thing to do, go out in the cold with LOADS of layers on. Then see how that is. One big layer can work, but you can't change your level of insulation. Anyone that says one layer is not effective has never tried a duvet jacket or other ski wear. The principle of layering is best described thus: Layering allows the regulation of thickness of insulating layers.

Item 1: Waterproofs
Item 2: Thermals (long sleeve, long sleeve turtle-neck, short sleeve, long-johns, Heat-Holder socks)
Item 3: Base Layer (this is kind of a luxury. It's like a surfing or MMA rashguard. It wicks sweat away from your skin)
Item 4: Normals (jumper, tshirt, hoodie, etc) just normal clothing, you can bulk this up if you want to, but probably won't need to.
Item 5: Winter jacket (ski shop's will provide the best, but you'll be paying £200+ for really good ones)
Item 6: Snow Pants (ski shops again. You'll be looking £150ish for these as well)

The last 2 items are more for snow sports, or arctic exploring (depending what level you go up to......some snow jackets I've seen are near to the £1000 mark!!!!!). Most people will be okay with a cheap pair of snow pants (Dare2Be, or another make like that) and snow jackets are a pure luxury. If you want to save a bit of cash, again look to Dare2Be. Pretty good quality, for a cheap price, £40ish.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 November 2012, 10:42,
i would just start with the basics, you need a good warm coat for the winter to wear over your normal gear, and a waterproof coat for wet weather, if they've got hoods so much the better, then you need good footwear, a stout walking shoe or boots.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 November 2012, 11:29,
(11 November 2012, 10:42)bigpaul Wrote: i would just start with the basics, you need a good warm coat for the winter to wear over your normal gear, and a waterproof coat for wet weather, if they've got hoods so much the better, then you need good footwear, a stout walking shoe or boots.

I agree with that.

My list is pretty much a buying list. Since you probably have 'Normals' Start with item 1, then buy item 2, then item 3. That'll help you convert what you already have, into pretty damn good snow wear. Then go for item 5 then 6.

Start with buying waterproofs if you don't already have some. Then go for the thermals. If you couple those with enough layers or normal clothing, that'll be pretty effective. After that, I like to enjoy the luxury of a base layer. Other, like BP and NR, are probably too butch for that kind of thing, but I like it. Then it's just a case of getting snow specific clothing.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 November 2012, 19:54,
thanks every one