Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood Fired Rayburn
13 November 2012, 18:15,
Wood Fired Rayburn
Over the last month or so, we have been switching over to a wood fuelled Rayburn for heating, hot water and cooking. The stove is now installed and we've had a week or so of experiences with it. Anyone who uses one of these will know they can be a bit cantankerous.

If anyone is interested, we've posted a story of our experiences with it over on our blog. If anyone has any advice on these stoves, or questions, please post a comment or respond here. Happy reading.

Regards Tarrel
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
13 November 2012, 18:53,
RE: Wood Fired Rayburn
No advice to offer i'm afraid, I just wanted to say your blog is a great read. Looks like you are setting up a great life for yourselves and I hope it all goes well. 60 acres should keep you busy Smile
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
13 November 2012, 19:05,
(13 November 2012, 18:53)IB1 Wrote: No advice to offer i'm afraid, I just wanted to say your blog is a great read. Looks like you are setting up a great life for yourselves and I hope it all goes well. 60 acres should keep you busy Smile

You're not wrong there!

Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
13 November 2012, 20:32,
I grew up with log fires and a rayburn as a back up for my mother to cook with if the electric went down. The only problem we had was when the fire really goes you will need to keep an eye on the flues as thay can become chocker with soot and catch light. Must admit they don't half belt out some heat. Good luck Smile
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
13 November 2012, 20:33,
got one myself....you will enjoy it ....cooking ... baking... and the taste uuuuuummmmm you will get used to the top oven (in the end ) the bottom oven great for slow tender roast...get yourself some tefflon sheet place this on top hob pancakes...bacon & eggs & sausage .stew on the go all the time ...kettle always on the simmer you will wonder how you ever managed without it.....get a spare riddling wheel if old type and some fire bricks and fire cement (get the board type bricks you can cut with a hand saw..their cheeper ...and better ) clean the flue reg and flue box .. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CARBON MANOXIDE MONITOR ..... I ON LANDING. 1 IN THE ROOM WHERE FIRE IS 3MTS AWAY FROM UNIT BOUT 1.7 MTS UP .....you Will grow to love your rayburn
13 November 2012, 22:35,
WE had one for two years. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.
Sweeping the chimmo twice a year, 4 cords of wood a year. Kettle taking 15 mins to boil.
My garden built brick rocket stove burnt less fuel and was twice as hot as our rayburn.
Got to a stage where the immersion heater was on more than every before.
Well rid of it.
BUT the little Aarrow multi fuel stove in it's place is fab.
1/3 the size, twice the performance, 1/4 of the price.
1/2 tonne of coal a year or wood as and when I can scrounge some.

13 November 2012, 23:02,
So, they're like Marmite then. Love 'em or hate 'em!

It's the same round here. They're very common. Some people love them, others detest them.
13 November 2012, 23:13,
NOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry paul ......ok its a bit of work and yes the other 2 woodburners i have are more efficient and bang out the heat...but getting up to a warm kitchen in the dead of winter....can,t beat it......its well worth the effort ... and the food tastes better BIG TIME sorry paul mate you loose
17 November 2012, 22:20,
Can i just ask, which is better, a woodburner or a multifuel stove??
17 November 2012, 22:31,
multifuel , would be my choice, more flexable....years ago i used to pinch clinker blocks off the site i was working on ,they were a great standby....kept us warm ...madgirl....my minivan was like a speedeboat specially on a friday