Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
survivability of livestock
14 November 2012, 14:50,
survivability of livestock
Regarding livestock in a "survivors" type scenario where a major part of the population has died, would there be a large number of Farm animals that have survived and gone "feral", or would the ex Farm animals die through lack of Human care?
I have no doubt domesticated Pigs could survive if they got out into the countryside, they would also be able to breed with the native Wild Boar population mmmmmmm PORKTongue
I also think Sheep would be pretty adaptable if they escaped, being able to eat a good range of vegetation etc.
I'm not too sure regarding Cattle however. If a Dairy Cow is not milked for instance would this kill the Animal?
Would Dairy Cattle and Beef Cattle be able to suvive outside and find enough good quality native plant food to sustain themselves?
Any thoughts folks
14 November 2012, 15:29,
RE: survivability of livestock
(14 November 2012, 14:50)Tartar Horde Wrote: Regarding livestock in a "survivors" type scenario where a major part of the population has died, would there be a large number of Farm animals that have survived and gone "feral", or would the ex Farm animals die through lack of Human care?
I have no doubt domesticated Pigs could survive if they got out into the countryside, they would also be able to breed with the native Wild Boar population mmmmmmm PORKTongue
I also think Sheep would be pretty adaptable if they escaped, being able to eat a good range of vegetation etc.
I'm not too sure regarding Cattle however. If a Dairy Cow is not milked for instance would this kill the Animal?
Would Dairy Cattle and Beef Cattle be able to suvive outside and find enough good quality native plant food to sustain themselves?
Any thoughts folks
Dairy cattle would not survive very long without being milked. most other livestock would have a good chance of survival PROVIDED it could find enough fodder.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 November 2012, 15:31,
Large amounts of livestock would die in their pens, or die pretty quickly; most modern farm animals a re dependent on regular supplementary feed, shelter and antibiotics.
Sheep would probably do alright, as they are spread out and remote already, and are OK on their own. Some heritage breeds of chicken, cow and pig would make it, but a lot would probably be lost to hungry scavengers.
Cattle do not need to be milked to survive. They need to be bred to consistently produce milk however
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
14 November 2012, 15:36, (This post was last modified: 14 November 2012, 15:42 by bigpaul.)
Dairy cattle are bred to be milked twice a day, if they are not milked the udders get very heavy and painful, eventually this would lead to infections and eventually a painful death.
(14 November 2012, 15:36)bigpaul Wrote: Dairy cattle are bred to be milked twice a day, if they are not milked the udders get very heavy and painful, eventually this would lead to infections and eventually a painful death.
"The Boss" (EX Herdswoman) has just said, any dairy cow coming to the end of its lactation(drying out) will survive, but any cow that has given birth in the last couple of months will not survive.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 November 2012, 15:43,
I think we need to check this out. Let's look at it in a logical way.

If the farmers die in the Event-D (D of Die-Off), then cattle could be in trouble. Having said that, many of us are rural based, and thus are just as likely to die as a farmer. Most farmers are preppers, but they just don't have the label. So the farmer is as likely to die as we are.

This situation means, if the farmer dies, the cattle will not be cared for. However, if the farmer dies, there's a pretty good chance that we will as well. So who cares about the cattle?!?!

Having said all that. If the farmer is killed by an explosion, the cattle are likely to be mashed up as well, so they would be of no use to us, as we would be dead too.

The cattle will survive for as long as us preppers do. Moreover, a farmer is just as likely to survive as we are. He will have guns, food stored, access to plenty of water, and loads of fuel stored as well.

Best bet is to make friends with your local farmers and see if they're cool enough to teach you basic farming skills. That way, if something does happen to them, you can take over and farm their cattle.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 November 2012, 15:48,
(14 November 2012, 15:43)Scythe13 Wrote: I think we need to check this out. Let's look at it in a logical way.

If the farmers die in the Event-D (D of Die-Off), then cattle could be in trouble. Having said that, many of us are rural based, and thus are just as likely to die as a farmer. Most farmers are preppers, but they just don't have the label. So the farmer is as likely to die as we are.

This situation means, if the farmer dies, the cattle will not be cared for. However, if the farmer dies, there's a pretty good chance that we will as well. So who cares about the cattle?!?!

Having said all that. If the farmer is killed by an explosion, the cattle are likely to be mashed up as well, so they would be of no use to us, as we would be dead too.

The cattle will survive for as long as us preppers do. Moreover, a farmer is just as likely to survive as we are. He will have guns, food stored, access to plenty of water, and loads of fuel stored as well.

Best bet is to make friends with your local farmers and see if they're cool enough to teach you basic farming skills. That way, if something does happen to them, you can take over and farm their cattle.

Or just marry an ex herdswoman/farm worker like what i did!Big Grin
14 November 2012, 16:10,
(14 November 2012, 15:48)bigpaul Wrote: Or just marry an ex herdswoman/farm worker like what i did!Big Grin

A bit late for that now mate. I've married someone who can run faster than me, for further than me!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 November 2012, 01:07,
I hope it's okay to leap in here, as I'm very new. We have kept various livestock from pigs to rheas as well as the more usual poultry etc.

Starting with poultry - dead easy to look after, provide eggs, meat and feathers. Have a tendency to forget to live. I swear the phrase " bird brain" was concocted by a poultry keeper. Having said that I have sewn up a hen with fishing line after an incident with a local dog and she lived to lay a shed load of eggs so they aren't all bad.

Rheas/Ostriches - don't even think about it, they make hens looks like huskies. They break their legs (die), fall over from shock (die) or just die. The eggs and meat may be delicious but they are not worth the effort.

Pigs - I am (was) a pig fan. I have loved pigs all my life. Then we got Bella and Bessie. Small pigs are cute, big pigs are MASSIVE. I hate to think what a big pig who hasn't been fed for a week or so is like. I have watched our pigs lift the latch with their noses then break down a door to get to the feed bins. They are very clever and they can be very viscious, there is no "I am full" gene for a pig. If they want it they will get it and like rats they will chew and gnaw till they get what they want. Great animals if you can contain them, not something I would want in my garden if i were short of food.

Goats - another soft spot of mine. Like the pigs they are houdinis, unlike the pigs they don't have a vicious bone in their bodies and they are good for milk too as long as they are in calf.

Sheep - hmm I can't speak from great experience. Such sheep as I have had to look after have been relativel low input IN THE MODERN DAY. If there is no antiseptic or antibiotics I wonder how many of the breeds we have easy access to would survive lambing. They are also dead stupid, this is both good (easy to herd) and bad (if they go off on their own they are usually a goner)

20 November 2012, 01:41,
How about rabbits? Don't take up too much room, easy to feed and look after, easy to butcher and cook, breed like..well, you know. Don't lay eggs though.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
20 November 2012, 10:49,
I listen to a homesteading podcast fairly reguarly, and they do not intervene to save animals. They allowed large portions of their animals to die from disease, then bred the survivors. They now have "the most healthy animals they have ever seen," do not need any antibiotics, and have not found a single dead animal on the farm.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8