Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
freeze dried food / canning
17 November 2012, 23:28,
freeze dried food / canning
Does anyone know anything about canning, I know that the Americans can buy canning equipment, but I dont think we can.

...and any ideas on freeze dried food

Questions from her in front of the telly, she is charge of food,... Gawd she will miss the telly...Dodgy
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 November 2012, 23:39,
RE: freeze dried food / canning
Its just the same as what we call preserving they just preserve more than we do.
Failure is NOT an option
18 November 2012, 14:13,
I've had a quick look at this and you can import canning equipment from the US and even buy on ebay

canning is different from what we do in the UK as it can cover more different food type with different acidity level (or something like that) for example you can can meat and some veg that we can't do as we have culturally used pickles etc

That about as far as I go as I had a quick look and due to the lack of cash I've put it on the "will look at it later" list

http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/Bayer-Ga...nning.aspx

18 November 2012, 15:42,
Thank you I-K-E,.. in fact it was watching the `Domesday Prepers` programs on the telly that start us thinking about this,...and the fact that they canned so many different things, as opposed to what we might preserve, which is a different thing, preserving [ as we know it] is more for fruit.

Canning is also a bit more intense, because I think there is particular temperatures involved with canning, but if we can find out the `ins and outs` then we can can almost any foods
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 December 2012, 21:33,
(18 November 2012, 15:42)Highlander Wrote: Thank you I-K-E,.. in fact it was watching the `Domesday Prepers` programs on the telly that start us thinking about this,...and the fact that they canned so many different things, as opposed to what we might preserve, which is a different thing, preserving [ as we know it] is more for fruit.
Canning is also a bit more intense, because I think there is particular temperatures involved with canning, but if we can find out the `ins and outs` then we can can almost any foods
actually i was wondering too about those freeze dried food in the preppers tv shows. as i understand freeze drying is some kind of industrial dehydration process with consecutive preservation in the inert gas atmosphere.
at home you can dry fruits, mushrooms, vegetables and may be salted fish.
but you can not can for example meat products without the salt or vinegar at home, and marinated or salted food still contains lot of water, so it would be heavier and take more space in the storage.
so my question is: is freeze dried food on sale only in states or it is usual commodity for example in catering business all over the world?
and what is the storage life for this kind of preserves?