Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT ALERT over TAIPAN Compound bow
18 November 2012, 15:37,
URGENT ALERT over TAIPAN Compound bow
Just done some tests with the Venom Taipan Compound bow bought from Crossbows4u that they originally sold as a 100 lb bow kit when I bought mine, then briefly amended the advert to 80 pound before now advertising it as a 60lb draw in compound form and only 80lb draw if fitted with accessory glass fibre recurve limb.

We tested ours today against our Cobra Mks 1 & 2 we are now completely of the belief that the compound Taipan is absolutely no more than 60 pound draw, the bolts fired from it bounced off a lump of pork we used for penetration tests, only the Cobras could penetrate the pork to any useable depth.

However it gets worse, part of the reason for buying the Taipan was that they said the bow could simply be converted to use the recurve limb off the Cobras, this is only PARTIALLY accurate, you can wriggle the Cobra 80 lb limb into place but you CANNOT fit the two felt and one steel limb protectors that stop the securing bolt from damaging the limb, thus making the conversion a risky proposition.

Thus I am now of the opinion the Taipan is not suitable at all for our use and I now need to find to 100 pound draw, very compact , lightweight crossbow for my son.

If you have a Taipan I suggest you relregate it to tsrget practise in the back garden.

18 November 2012, 15:58,
RE: URGENT ALERT over TAIPAN Compound bow
No chance of getting your money back then NR?

18 November 2012, 16:09,
Naa we have had it to long and left it far to long to test out out kit, the Cobras are fine but the Taipan is a disaster, I desperately need to my the brat I lightweight, very compact 100 pound draw crossbow now. But at least we also found out that the Banshees were ideal for the job we got them for. Now I need to blag or borrow a couple of wooden arrows to see how they fire from a 25 pound draw compound.

18 November 2012, 16:19,
Thought you were ditching your xbows?

18 November 2012, 16:41,
(18 November 2012, 16:19)Paul Wrote: Thought you were ditching your xbows?

The big one I got for me, yes I sold that to Road Warrior, My back wont let me use a crossbow so I'm sticking with modest draw compound and recurve bows. BUT my son prefers crossbows and he is very comfortable with compact crossbows, but he needs something only about 95 pound draw but smaller physically than the Jaguars. He needs something like the Barnett phantom but 95 pound draw not 60 pound draw.