Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If NR had to live in London?
19 November 2012, 23:22,
© NR 2012

Today an associate posed the question to me of “NR if you HAD to live in London (never by choice I assure you) what specific preps would you understand to try and offset the problems of living in London?”

Firstly I’m deliberately avoiding the issue of personal security when moving around London, that’s a completely separate and contentious issue all in itself.

I thought it a fair question and it took a good bit of thought so here goes

(1)If I had a choice I would live on the top floor of one of the apartment blocks that are common in London not the huge 30 plus story tower blocks mind you, only the 4 or 5 story buildings with a flat roof, one with a very large fresh water tank if possible. Never basement , ground or first floor (flood ,fire, burglary risk)

(2) First specific purchases a wire or rope *escape ladder, or *fabric escape tube.

(3)Second specific purchase a set of *bolt cutters, *mash hammer and *prybar to ensure I can access the roof, plus short ladder if roof only accessible through hatch.

(4) If suitable I would cache *water plus extra containers, *food and supplies in the flat and on the roof, plus at a 24 /7 U-store type place.

(5) I would fit a *laminated (steel/wood/steel) front door with four hinges and multi point locking
And amagnifying spy hole in the door and the letter box feeding into a sealed metal fire resistant mail box on the inside. A large dry powder *fire extinguisher would live in the hallway.

(6) Would probably try and put up a ham / CB antenna on the roof but would not run the wire to the apartment, instead choosing to go to the roof to connect up and make / receive broadcasts.

(7) Would obtain high quality *LUL route map and *London Canal and Waterways map, I would recce every possible BO route frequently, Also plot the route of all power pylons out of the city.

(8) I would join Subterranea Britanica as a fully paid up member to access their massive archive of info on underground London, I would also participate in every Sub Brit organised field trip held in the city.

(9) I would buy and study the two books *BENEATH THE CITY STREETS by PETER LAURIE and WARPLAN UK by Duncan Campbell which both contain valuable info on tunnels, routes, etc in London.

(10) Funds permitting I would buy a * Folding mountain bike and an inflatable or *Folding Kayak

(11) Supplemental to the pry-bar / mash hammer / bolt cutters I would try and obtain a pair of the *manhole / access hatch keys used by London’s utilities to access the subterranean world under London.

The bits above would be EXTRA to the normal preps I would have such as a BOB, Quality Flashlights, Light Sticks, Extensive Medical kit, Personal Security implements, Radio kit, Rations, Travel Clothing etc.

I don’t think I would attempt to use a private vehicle INSIDE the GLC area for bugging out cept perhaps a small motorcycle, but if possible I would keep some sort of vehicle outside the GLC area perhaps at a friend’s or relatives place or a rented lockup.

That’s my humble take on the issue, I bet there is loads of extra tips and info going to come from the Urban Prep community

19 November 2012, 23:27,
RE: If NR had to live in London?
Reading all that you do just makes me happy that I'm just a hick from the sticks ha ha
19 November 2012, 23:31,
(19 November 2012, 23:27)Terro Wrote: Reading all that you do just makes me happy that I'm just a hick from the sticks ha ha

Its only what I think I would have to do IF I was mental enough to live inside Londonistan, I'm more than chuffed to live up here in Durhamshire Smile

20 November 2012, 00:12,
At least I am on the right track as you have mentioned a lot of what I have been thinking about since you put up another post a couple weeks ago just after I joined up here.
Thanks for redoing it and adding lots to it.
But at the risk of sounding an idiot, why would you not connect the antenna wire to your apartment if you were on the top floor? I am probably missing something good here.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
20 November 2012, 00:15,
oh no i live in london and ive just realised that i need to do more a lot more
i hate living in this cess pool of filth
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
20 November 2012, 00:22,
We have A LOT of work to do, Falcon and perhaps only a little time left in which to do it.
But we have a chance, slim though it is, to make it out. As for me, I have to make it if my little Generals are to live post SHTF.
Keep your chin up! We are not dead yet. Smile

20 November 2012, 08:56,
If you had to bug out of london, what would be the quickest way and where wold you go?
20 November 2012, 09:01, (This post was last modified: 20 November 2012, 09:02 by Mandlaka.)
By river would be good but I would need to 'borrow' a boat....
Easiest with my little boys.
Next best would be to walk out. Maps are beginning to show me ways to do that but it will be almost impossible as my kids are still really young and cannot walk so far.

If my only option was to drive out, I would net myself and medium sized truck if I can get one from my n neighbourhood.

Still working on the plan.
(20 November 2012, 09:01)Mandlaka Wrote: By river would be good but I would need to 'borrow' a boat....
Easiest with my little boys.
Next best would be to walk out. Maps are beginning to show me ways to do that but it will be almost impossible as my kids are still really young and cannot walk so far.

If my only option was to drive out, I would net myself and medium sized truck if I can get one from my n neighbourhood.

Still working on the plan.

After clearing out of this deathtrap city I would head for the coast. Not sorted out a set location yet.

20 November 2012, 09:43,
(20 November 2012, 00:12)Mandlaka Wrote: At least I am on the right track as you have mentioned a lot of what I have been thinking about since you put up another post a couple weeks ago just after I joined up here.
Thanks for redoing it and adding lots to it.
But at the risk of sounding an idiot, why would you not connect the antenna wire to your apartment if you were on the top floor? I am probably missing something good here.

I am guessing that it would be a dead give-away to your location
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 November 2012, 09:53, (This post was last modified: 20 November 2012, 09:54 by NorthernRaider.)
(20 November 2012, 00:12)Mandlaka Wrote: But at the risk of sounding an idiot, why would you not connect the antenna wire to your apartment if you were on the top floor? I am probably missing something good here.

Someone else gains access to roof (now) Council worker / landlord or nosey neighbour and follows the coax back to your flat , now knows you have valuable radio kit so what else do you have??. Someone else gains access to the roof (afterTSHTF) looking for water in the tanks or rooftop gardens to raid, Survivalist, Thief, Looter, Govt officer follows the coax back to your flat, knows you have valuable radio kit so what else do you have ? Imagine in WW2 if the French, Dutch, Danish or Norwegian resistance put up an antenna to get broadcasts or send messages to London and left the coax in place, along comes the Geheime staats feldpolizi and follows the coax back to the restistance cells house.
(20 November 2012, 00:15)TheFalcon Wrote: oh no i live in london and ive just realised that i need to do more a lot more
i hate living in this cess pool of filth

I'll repost my bits n pieces on urban prep , maybe snippets you can use.