Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heating Safety
20 November 2012, 20:51,
Heating Safety
Many of you are looking at wood burners to keep warm/cook on should the power go off.
I want to draw your attention to a major consideration - SAFETY.
Apart from the obvious of standing the stove on a non-combustible base, you need to consider the following.

1. The stove should have a area around the base of non-combustible material in case of spillage, ideally extending a good way in front of any opening. Think old fashioned tiled fireplace to get the idea.

2. Any wood burner is an "open flued appliance". This means it draws the air in that it needs for combustion from the room it is in, and the "products of combustion" leave the burner up the flue. Some of you have posted ways of blocking air vents etc. If you do this while you have a woodburner on one or two things will happen. If your lucky, the burner will go out through lack of Oxygen. If your not, you will go out as the burner uses the Oxygen up in the room. I believe current requirements are 550sq.mm per Kw of stove output ABOVE 5Kw. This can be through an air brick or purpose bought grill with the area stamped on it.
But check first, regulations are always changing.

3. Carbon Monoxide DOES kill. Through poorly fitted woodburners and people not understanding how to calculate flue lengths. Wrong length=No flue pull: Result Smoke/Gases back into room.
This is one tragic case:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z0oWLxnRBt[/url]

4. Some councils require inspection and registration of woodburning stoves
(and probably a fee).

DON'T SURVIVE WTSHTF TO KILL YOURSELF. Check, then check again. Just like you check your kit.

Still Learning!
20 November 2012, 20:55,
RE: Heating Safety
Stoves and fires should really be installed or inspected by HETAS approved engineers, even though one did install my little Aga wrongly !!

20 November 2012, 21:13,
(20 November 2012, 20:55)NorthernRaider Wrote: Stoves and fires should really be installed or inspected by HETAS approved engineers, even though one did install my little Aga wrongly !!

I agree, totally. However, if your retreat is isolated or you don't want it known about, this is when people start to DIY.
I was concerned over seeing a link to some "stoves" that had been made from old calor gas bottles. Unrated and no CE mark.
Hence the warning post regarding safety as many people don't associate wood fires killing the same as gas fires.
Still Learning!
20 November 2012, 22:06,
a few years back a guy died in the village CM poisoning...you can,t see it..you can,t smell it.always ALWAYS have a monitor..without it your dead ...clean your flue and chimneys regular...make a habbit of it ... and the point of having a vent is just that to vent the room never NEVER tape them up.. never EVER try to burn wet wood ...this will clogg your flue and chimney and leave a tarr coating around ..flue...linning..chimney ... you got to remember its not like a gas fire,that you may be used to.....fires = work.... folks...be safe......NOT SORRY AND DEAD