Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traps
24 November 2012, 14:35,
Traps
The shtf you have bugged out and are trying to get your farm working. You know people are going to be escaping from the citys, you have already encountered agrressive people/groups.

What could you do to look after your land?

You could dig a bit and put sharpened wood in it. This was very effective against the yanks in vietnam, and led to jungle boots having a metal sole. What other traps will you use?
24 November 2012, 17:01,
RE: Traps
yes i would..lots of nasty supprises, and obstacles ....razor wire ...i wood make it a real bad place to be....double fences for trap & kill .....but would not make it look obvious more like run down ...not lived in
24 November 2012, 18:11,
What about gin traps the sort gamekeepers in the 1800's used against poachers, trip wires, and a decent pack of dogs.
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
24 November 2012, 18:25,
you start putting in razor wire, post pits, trip wires and gin traps and you are telling people there is something there worth having! you need to do your homework now-not AFTER tshtf, find a bug out a long way from anyone else and go for total isolation, keep the noise down, dont come and go the same way each time, only cook after dark when the smoke cant be seen.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 November 2012, 18:44,
That's good advice but I do think a pack of dogs wouldn't be much of a give away, what I mean is after tshtf there's going to be animals roaming for food and they do have a tendency to hunt in packs still I'm not so sure now
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
24 November 2012, 21:41,
Traps and defences draws attention to your place, anyone walking your way and seeing a defence knows that you have something that they might need,..its often an opening to an attack.

Better to hide what you have, and make out you have very little, by all means defend the little if you feel you have to,... but dont show signs that you have more

It will either have the effect that the strangers realising you have nothing leave, or they take what little they find and still leave

If for any reason they think you have a lot more, they will just increase their efforts to put you down

The more invisable you are the better your chances of survival
A major part of survival is invisibility.
30 November 2012, 18:49,
It depends where your living and how long you have to prepare, if on a farm with a good clearing around the say 30yrds round the proprty then thorn bushes planted as a thick 6-10ft wide boarder are pretty hard to get past forming a wall of thorns. Then have a conifer boarder round that and have a decent gate with a back up barricade.

From the outside your house will look secluded as only conifers will be visable and as thy are evergreen your secluded all year, but once there through the conifers no one is going to want to crawl over 10ft of thorny rose bushes or brambles which just leaves the main gate which is the only point you would need to defend. Ideally I'd have a double gate with a cattle grid between the two (still looking like a farm house) to detere anyone climbing your first gate as the risk of breaking a Leg on the cattle grid is too much.
30 November 2012, 21:07,
apache foot trap!! easy, quick and free. i could have a small mine field done in a day! also, point blank diy crossbow traps set to fire via trip can again be made from the forest and are again free!! they dont have to be lethal, just enough to proove to any would be dead man that it simply isnt worth it. a berried cable leading to your house sat next to a car batterie ready to b applied, well the other end could b attached to anything from petrol to well anything. a scaffhold tube, a hammer, loads of red match heads, a cannon projectile and some welding and trigger setting/trip know how and you have a cannon that will blast at what ever its aimed at when the trip is set. just a few ideas.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
30 November 2012, 22:55,
a less lethal trap could be a blank firing simi like an uzi or mac 10 in a tree off in the distance with a long range pully assisted trip system running through berried plastick plunbing tubing maybe. so the trap is tripped and in the distance there's rappid fire and maybe some rigged bangers on top? would scare the hell out of me lol
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
30 November 2012, 23:26,
of course all our kids will just fly over these traps which will only target bad guys.

Each situation is different and you should look at keeping a low profile first followed by selected defences which are suitable for your situation.

Keeping your head down and out of sight beats any defences you can set up unless you have a bunker 200ft down.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin