Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flood Defences
26 November 2012, 00:29, (This post was last modified: 26 November 2012, 19:58 by Skvez.)
Flood Defences
Unbelievable someones heads gonna roll
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20487648

[Edit to add thread title]
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
26 November 2012, 00:58,
RE:
Mr Corns added: "It is unacceptable the pumps failed - the Environment Agency has been very good to us but we should not be building in these areas [where flooding is likely]."

I put it to your Mr Corns that perhaps you should not have bought property in that area. Another one that wants to blame someone else for their own mistakes.
26 November 2012, 12:03,
RE: what a waste
I still think someones head should roll, that's a lot of money to waste, though I doubt any compensation will be given to the peoples properties that were flooded.
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
26 November 2012, 13:41,
RE:
Can hardly blame Mr Corns really. He doesn't choose where the houses are built and you expect a level of care to be taken by those chosing.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 November 2012, 14:06,
RE:
(26 November 2012, 00:58)BDG Wrote: Mr Corns added: "It is unacceptable the pumps failed - the Environment Agency has been very good to us but we should not be building in these areas [where flooding is likely]."

I put it to your Mr Corns that perhaps you should not have bought property in that area. Another one that wants to blame someone else for their own mistakes.

Exactly. That river has been there a lot longer than his house. A bit of research would have been wise before stumping up the cash for a property that is likely to flood.

Must be nice to live by a river, but I'd make damn sure it'd never burst its banks and flooded the village before...
26 November 2012, 20:02,
RE: Flood Defences
People who live on flood plains should not get their panties in a wad when it floods.
Flood plains exist to absorb flooding. Building a flood defence to keep the water off a flood plain makes the flooding worse further downstream.

Yet another case of "something bad happened to me, rather than me reviewing what *I* could have done to stop it, who can I blame?"
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
26 November 2012, 20:49,
I don't live in a flood plain but we have been flooded twice this year because we are on a remote side road upon which it was deemed a good place to empty all the field drains. Until last year it was never a problem, now even the slightest rain has us checking our flood defences (drains, ditches, sandbags and some old plastic sheeting which makes a great diversion tunnel!)

But what I wanted to say was that until now I thought my husband would think me barmy for starting to make preparations. Today when I told him what I had done thus far he said good on you and we have agreed to sit down and plan together. So some good out of the bad Smile
26 November 2012, 21:52,
What is the topography like there? Could you not dig a field drain or ditch yourselves or is it possible an old ditch that has silted up exists on your land?
26 November 2012, 22:27,
Went to Durham this evening to get a lead for the laptop, never seen flooding like this before, many pools reached the top of my transits tyres, spotted a Citroen and Ford floating in one pool so turned round and went via another route, huge acrages of land are at least 2 ft deep in water, many roads are completely away for over 1/2 a mile with 6 inch deep water. The A689 near here has become Lake Wynyard. So pleased I live on hillto but one of wifeys colleagues lives up Weardale so place near Stanhope and shes telling my missus she thinks her house could be inundated this evening.

27 November 2012, 11:34,
We have flood defences where we are, and it's worked a treat apparently. The 70 year old neighbour who's lived here for 40 years, says that we would have been underwater previously, but now we're able to walk along a pretty dry road and watch our new river flowing.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin