Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Windy Weekend Camping
26 November 2012, 11:49,
A Windy Weekend Camping
Got back from a weekend of camping yesterday.

Good weather for it, if you like it cold, wet and windy.
Very good opportunity for testing some new gear though, and I learnt a few things too.

Mainly:
1 - I don't need anywhere near the amount of stuff I took. I could quite happily have just taken a German mess set, the swedish down filled sleeping bag and bivi.
2 - Those inflatable sleep mats are quite slippery. Waking up with just your head and shoulders inside the tent is quite disorientating initially.
3 - Cheap tent pegs are crap.
4 - Polish army teepee tents are very good, but with the crap pegs don't expect it to stay upright in storm force gales.
5 - Going to sleep in the tent, then waking up not in the tent as it's blown over is also quite disorientating initially
6 - Electric fences are not that nice to touch.

and finally

7 - when you're very, very drunk and you've fallen face first in the mud - don't expect your friends to react to your call of "MAN DOWN" with anything apart from hysterical laughter...
26 November 2012, 13:43,
RE: A Windy Weekend Camping
So nothing new to learn from the trip then.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 November 2012, 13:48,
Oh yeah, also money spiders like my beard. I think I've finally got them all out
26 November 2012, 13:59,
Haha, that sounds like a good bunch of lessons from the school of the blindingly obvious haha. However, it sounded like a great laugh too!

I'm not a fan of the teepee style shelters, except for summer. They don't really hold much heat in for the colder months.

Am I safe to assume you will be home brewing for TEOTWAWKI?

You could sell it as Beardy-Brew!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 November 2012, 14:09,
There was some home brew being passed around the campfire. Very warming.

The kit is my next purchase Smile

I'm going to try and make some form of banana alcohol
26 November 2012, 14:47,
after all the wet weather we've had in the last 3 days with associated flooding and several deaths, you must want your head examined!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 November 2012, 15:22,
(26 November 2012, 14:47)bigpaul Wrote: after all the wet weather we've had in the last 3 days with associated flooding and several deaths, you must want your head examined!!Big Grin

Winter is the best time for camping BP Big Grin

Thankfully no floods!
26 November 2012, 15:30,
(26 November 2012, 15:22)BeardyMan Wrote:
(26 November 2012, 14:47)bigpaul Wrote: after all the wet weather we've had in the last 3 days with associated flooding and several deaths, you must want your head examined!!Big Grin

Thankfully no floods!

not in the weather we have just had it isnt! you could have put yourself in danger and had to be rescued, its one thing camping in the cold even snow but when we've got heavy flooding?? i know you said no floods but Southampton COULD have had flooding, wife's brother and nephew live in Gosport.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 November 2012, 15:47,
(26 November 2012, 15:30)bigpaul Wrote:
(26 November 2012, 15:22)BeardyMan Wrote:

Thankfully no floods!

not in the weather we have just had it isnt! you could have put yourself in danger and had to be rescued, its one thing camping in the cold even snow but when we've got heavy flooding?? i know you said no floods but Southampton COULD have had flooding, wife's brother and nephew live in Gosport.

We were on private land in a little village north on Alton. Right next to a river actually, but we were on higher ground.
26 November 2012, 22:47,
(26 November 2012, 13:48)BeardyMan Wrote: Oh yeah, also money spiders like my beard. I think I've finally got them all out

Could do with a few of them to cath my resident moth