Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a LAN cable the same as an ethernet cable ?
26 November 2012, 16:40,
RE: Is a LAN cable the same as an ethernet cable ?
(26 November 2012, 15:48)BeardyMan Wrote: Colour does matter - the yellow ones are patch cables to connect 2 computers directly, with no router.

Racist Smile

26 November 2012, 17:47,
Most modern computers you can use either patch or crossover. They have auto-switching circuits.
Failure is always an option.
26 November 2012, 23:25,
(26 November 2012, 15:48)BeardyMan Wrote:
(26 November 2012, 13:37)Skean Dhude Wrote: NR,

Although Gary is correct the coax versions went obsolete a long time ago. RJ45 is the norm now and it doesn't matter what colour it is either. Colours are just used to identity lines.

Colour does matter - the yellow ones are patch cables to connect 2 computers directly, with no router.

BM,

Not true. I have in my possession right now a yellow cable that connects my laptop directly to a router. You can get RJ45 with that type of connection but it is not the norm and if they are identified by yellow then that is a manufacturers identifying colour not an industry standard.

I use the yellow myself because few people have them as most are grey and I can identify mine by a look.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 November 2012, 00:19,
uuummm thats sorted then..........................i think
27 November 2012, 01:57,
(26 November 2012, 23:25)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(26 November 2012, 15:48)BeardyMan Wrote:
(26 November 2012, 13:37)Skean Dhude Wrote: NR,

Although Gary is correct the coax versions went obsolete a long time ago. RJ45 is the norm now and it doesn't matter what colour it is either. Colours are just used to identity lines.

Colour does matter - the yellow ones are patch cables to connect 2 computers directly, with no router.

BM,

Not true. I have in my possession right now a yellow cable that connects my laptop directly to a router. You can get RJ45 with that type of connection but it is not the norm and if they are identified by yellow then that is a manufacturers identifying colour not an industry standard.

I use the yellow myself because few people have them as most are grey and I can identify mine by a look.

I use all sorts of colours, the colours are normally used to identify types of circuits and I'm not aware of any industry standard for this.

Just make sure you use a straight through cable and not a crossover, the crossover cables are used to connect computers direct to each other or to connect a hub/switch to a network port, the straight through cables are used for everything else - look at the cable colours inside the plastic plug on each end, if they are in the same order then it is wired straight through - most are.

Quick illustration - http://www.nullmodem.com/RJ-45.htm
27 November 2012, 09:59,
The cable I got from B & Q is white but its provided with a cross over adaptor if its needed.

27 November 2012, 10:55,
It sounds as if you are sorted then NR Big Grin
73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine
27 November 2012, 11:23,
So far so good.

28 November 2012, 21:57,
(27 November 2012, 11:23)NorthernRaider Wrote: So far so good.

good to hear Smile