Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOW WOULD YOU FAIR
26 November 2012, 23:22,
HOW WOULD YOU FAIR
Have you thought of how you would fair wtshtf...if you are on regular medication / perscriptions ... lets say diabetic...high blood pressure...and the like...what have you done to prepp for yourself and your loved ones....can you get supplies that easy ? even to prepare if you were able ......[/b]
26 November 2012, 23:37,
RE: HOW WOULD YOU FAIR
The only prep I make for that one m8 is to only take my children or my self to the quack if absolute vital. I also have a "back on the plate" that of some food falls on the floor 9 times out of ten I put it back on their plates. A bit of dirt won't hurt my dad always said. If your super clean, your anti bodies will be weak. Another trick I do to make sure I get as much goodness into em as possible is to poor the water I boil the veg in off into a jug and into the fridge, when the girls ask for a drink I add fruit syrup and bingo healthy as hell drinks which is never turned down.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
26 November 2012, 23:52,
If it's a (short-term) financial/natural disaster then medication-dependent people have a fighting chance provided they always get plenty of insulin (etc) supplies from their GP & store it correctly. Keeping a supply of cash & up-to-date passport is always a plan too in case you need to get out of dodge quickly and head to a less affected country. If it's teotwawki (emp/nuke strike etc) then only short-term prospects of survival due to short-term shelf-life of meds (and the fact that insulin, for example, needs to be refrigerated). If I remember rightly, a character in the series Jericho had an insulin-dependent daughter who died (fiction, but a pretty accurate depiction of what would be likely happen to people with long-term medical conditions). It's close to my heart as my partner is T1 diabetic, so I pray nothing ever happens which is more than a few months at most.

The Greeks are having ongoing problems with medical supplies due to the financial crisis. As I understand it the manufacturers (predominantly Danish if I recall) are duty-bound to continue supplying insulin/life-saving medication to Greece as a moral imperative, despite their bills not being paid. It must be a pretty frightening experience for Greek diabetics and other people there with medical issues.
26 November 2012, 23:55,
I know that a lot of preppers have health issues, like high cholesterol.

Personally, I've currently got an infected nail that I'm self treating (a brilliant skill I started at uni.....while bored) it by injecting Savlon through a hypodermic needle under my nail. It's doing a great job so far! Have some Cura-Nail stuff somewhere, but it's like £25 to buy over the counter!!! So self medication can save lots of money too haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 November 2012, 00:05, (This post was last modified: 27 November 2012, 00:07 by Straight Shooter.)
thank you P28
T2 boyo
27 November 2012, 00:17,
(26 November 2012, 23:55)Scythe13 Wrote: I know that a lot of preppers have health issues, like high cholesterol.

Personally, I've currently got an infected nail that I'm self treating (a brilliant skill I started at uni.....while bored) it by injecting Savlon through a hypodermic needle under my nail. It's doing a great job so far! Have some Cura-Nail stuff somewhere, but it's like £25 to buy over the counter!!! So self medication can save lots of money too haha.

where do you get the syringes?
27 November 2012, 00:18,
Buy them on eBay.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 November 2012, 00:30,
(26 November 2012, 23:55)Scythe13 Wrote: I know that a lot of preppers have health issues, like high cholesterol.

under your nail bloody hell dude
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
27 November 2012, 00:33,
Allison [ my wife ] has high blood pressure, and of course has her tables,.... prescribed as one a day,... but for some time now, she has been taking one every other day, so far everything is ok,... with no sign of any negitive effect,... she is hoping that her body will adjust [ as it seems to be ] so she can save every other pill.

Its either this, or not be able to get any if something happens, we are only a small community, and I doubt very much they have a great stock of anything
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 November 2012, 00:52,
Depends on how long the problem lasts. Short term, people should be fine, any one on meds usually has up to 28 days supply, although they may only have a week or so left.

Long term - some of those with high blood pressure or t2 diabetes will find they fare just as well without anything they may have been taking. Some of them will die.

What about those who have mental illnesses that are drug controlled? Could get messy.

Epileptics, severe asthmatics, those with COPD, kidney disease, HIV are not going to have a good time should the medicines run out. Neither will those in chronic pain or those with parkinsons, MS or other degenerative illnesses.

I do not take any meds. I fully intend to stay that way for the rest of my life, for then at least I know where I stand. Best way not to need them is not to take them.