Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"the sound of silence"
28 November 2012, 10:23,
"the sound of silence"
i am convinced that once the power goes off, no traffic noise, no aircraft noise, no canned music, etc.etc. a lot of people are going to freak out. you see, people make so much noise these days, kids screaming and shouting, adults hammering, sawing, mowing the lawn, i think most people would be FRIGHTENED of the deathly hush that would occur. one of the reasons i take the dog up past the fields is too get away from people and noise, i can hear the dogs barking in the kennels-one and a half miles away, i can hear the cattle arriving at the abbattoir -a mile away. after TSHTF it will be so quiet you'll be surprised how far a noise will travel. i think post event there will be a lot of suicides and people not caring if they live or die, because they cannot cope with "the sound of silence".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 November 2012, 10:49,
RE: "the sound of silence"
I've read about urban and city folks who have gone on holiday to very quite places and have become unsettled and unable to sleep or rest because their is no continous background noise from traffic, sirens, people etc, and they have had to go home.

28 November 2012, 12:35,
That was one of the issues for the last 3 survivors in the film The Quiet Earth. Bruno Lawrence's character sets up mannequins around town and talks to them as if they are real. It's a very good film, not about survival against a wild landscape or threats, but about the loneliness and fear.
28 November 2012, 12:42,
yes, but i'm not talking about books or holidays but what it will be like after The Event, i'm expecting lots of suicides cos the sheeple-if they survive- will not be able to handle the loneliness and the quiet...not just quiet but NO noise at all, you can hear a pin drop, or a twig break or a cow fart...that sort of quiet..absolutely nothing.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 November 2012, 12:52, (This post was last modified: 28 November 2012, 12:53 by NorthernRaider.)
(28 November 2012, 12:35)Ferret Wrote: That was one of the issues for the last 3 survivors in the film The Quiet Earth. Bruno Lawrence's character sets up mannequins around town and talks to them as if they are real. It's a very good film, not about survival against a wild landscape or threats, but about the loneliness and fear.

Quiet Earth was a huge clssic movie, I found the final moments absolutely astounding, especially as he stood on the beach and watched other planets rise over the horizon, really spooky and thought provoking, was he dead, was he in another universe, had he been transported, weird as.
i noticed a similar trend in Charleton Hestons portrayal of the last man on earth in Omega man and Will smiff in Legend

28 November 2012, 12:59,
Hmm Didn't like Legend, apparently there was an alternative ending where WS let the "zombies" take the girl and an acknowledgement that they were a legitimate society in their own right and they go their separate ways. But feedback from US audiences was "shoot 'em up".

I'd forgotten about Omega Man. Was Legend based on that - story line is very similar?
28 November 2012, 13:04,
Legend was based on the Omega man, the Omega man was based on The Last Man On Earth staring Vincent Price, it is the most true to the book version so far.

28 November 2012, 13:51,
Tbh I like silence,but for when I need a bit of music,just listen to some classical music on my phone (solar charger for when tshtf so I can still have all the music id need)
28 November 2012, 14:56,
(28 November 2012, 13:51)Cestrian Wrote: Tbh I like silence,but for when I need a bit of music,just listen to some classical music on my phone (solar charger for when tshtf so I can still have all the music id need)

yes, OK, your OK, but i'm trying to make a serious point here, not " i'm ok i've got all the bases covered" sort of reply, i'm talking about the "masses" here not the odd prepper or survivalist! i'm trying to say that because most people these days, modern society if you like, make so much of a noise, i think they are actually SCARED of silence thats why they make so much noise, and come "the event" and it all goes quiet, they are all going to be crapping themselves!!Big Grin
28 November 2012, 15:19,
Simple people don't like change.... I was told this by a post grad tutor for when on an intro course for all the MSc students in the faculty at Manchester Uni. To demonstrate his point he asked all the students who had studied at Manchester before ... I was amazed when over 3/4 of the room put their hands up

any how it's how they adapt that will be key if all things goes quite solar flare etc then to start of there is going to be chaos and it while then start to quite down. If people have survived that long then they will have had a chance to adapt

As BP has stated I would expect a lot to commit suicide at various times during any change in society if its a forced and sudden change like the light going out but the bulk of them will be about giving up,no point in living, better than staring to death, nothing left to lose etc