Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Lesson From History in Bugging In
1 December 2012, 14:03,
I Lesson From History in Bugging In
When I win the lottery I will build a Bastlehouse, but using modern day security and energy efficent products. However what a great idea these homesteads were and they stood for years against raiders and opposing forces. http://www.biggararchaeology.org.uk/rp_b...ouse.shtml

Now if you were building a Bastle House how would you go about it?
1 December 2012, 15:08,
RE: I Lesson From History in Bugging In
Durham and Northumberland are covered with em, wouldnt it be eaier just to buy one Smile, a lady on Grand designs refitted one a few series ago up near Otterburn.

1 December 2012, 15:33,
(1 December 2012, 15:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: Durham and Northumberland are covered with em, wouldnt it be eaier just to buy one Smile, a lady on Grand designs refitted one a few series ago up near Otterburn.

Yeah re-fitting (if I win the lottery would be an option) But then I would want to equip it with a 21st century out look on the threat and with renewable energy and modern defences....Failing that I'd look at how to improve my place with the Bastle House in mind.
1 December 2012, 15:46,
(1 December 2012, 15:33)SealDriver Wrote:
(1 December 2012, 15:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: Durham and Northumberland are covered with em, wouldnt it be eaier just to buy one Smile, a lady on Grand designs refitted one a few series ago up near Otterburn.

Yeah re-fitting (if I win the lottery would be an option) But then I would want to equip it with a 21st century out look on the threat and with renewable energy and modern defences....Failing that I'd look at how to improve my place with the Bastle House in mind.

Brick built house with heavy concrete tile roof and painted steel folding french shutters you can close up WTSHTF, Laminated steel doors, enough integral storage to sustain you for over a month.

1 December 2012, 18:49, (This post was last modified: 1 December 2012, 18:50 by Wildman.)
i was thinking the other day about this. my thoughts were. a deep concrete foundation with scaffhold tubes (that have been painted with rubberised paint)
and the old steel tube,not the ali tube. the whole construction would be made from scaffholding and all the tightened fittings would be welded over. i havent thought more past this but i'll post more if anything else comes up.
of course, the tubes would be going 10ft deep into the concrete.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
1 December 2012, 19:00,
(1 December 2012, 18:49)Wildman Wrote: i was thinking the other day about this. my thoughts were. a deep concrete foundation with scaffhold tubes (that have been painted with rubberised paint)
and the old steel tube,not the ali tube. the whole construction would be made from scaffholding and all the tightened fittings would be welded over. i havent thought more past this but i'll post more if anything else comes up.
of course, the tubes would be going 10ft deep into the concrete.

Yes good idea and also the use of earthen banks to make the structure denser around the base and hide it's size and purpose. Underground cellars for storage, root cellars and a back door way out. 360 observation from the top of the structure and a well for water.
1 December 2012, 19:22,
Nothing intrusive or intimidating then, just a nice low profile post apoc fort in the middle of an English village?? Smile

1 December 2012, 19:35,
Yeah that's about it N.R.

'People said I was mad building castle in swamp'!

If I had the lottery win mate it would be in the middle of no where.Wink
1 December 2012, 19:35, (This post was last modified: 1 December 2012, 19:36 by I-K-E.)
if on a lottery win

you could buy the location as remote as you can get and get all the underground work done then just hide it by grassing over then stockpile the building materials to finish it off
assuming that the planning application was not being done
1 December 2012, 19:58, (This post was last modified: 1 December 2012, 20:07 by NorthernRaider.)
(1 December 2012, 19:35)SealDriver Wrote: Yeah that's about it N.R.

'People said I was mad building castle in swamp'!

If I had the lottery win mate it would be in the middle of no where.Wink

Liverpool city centre it is then Smile naer a more barren and uncivilised wilderness have I ever seen reminds me of Chernobyl or Tel Aviv Smile
I want to buy Kerguelen Island off the French, failing that Tristan De Cuhna or St Helena or some place equally remote.

I would have the biggest practical shotgun range going on half an island with life size images of the world greatest criminals to shoot at.

Blair, Brown, Reid, Prescott,Scargill and the entire TUC
G W Bush, Powell
Nasser, Arafat, Begin, Dyane, Sharon, Khomani
Mugabe, Mandela,
Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Hoeniker, El Duce, Pol Pot