Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stanley Multi Tool Review
4 December 2012, 11:19,
Stanley Multi Tool Review
Hi Everyone

Okay, here's a quick review of one of my latest purchases, the Stanley Multitool.

As we all know, Stanley is the company that has a strong hold on the builders market, in regard to hand tools. If I ask what a Stanley Blade is, you know. Why? Because they are the market, it's bench mark, and one of the top brands, world wide!!!

Okay, so we know the company has a good reputation. Now on with the review.

Stanley's Multitool
Cost: £9.99
Weight: 299g
Features:
Long nose pliers, wire cutter, saw, flat head screw driver, knife, bottle opener, tin opener, metal file, smaller knife blade (pretty blunt), Philips screwdriver, another flat screw driver head, small than the last, and another flat screwdriver head bigger than both the other ones.
Comes with a case/pouch: Yes

I know what many of you are already doing. You're laughing. I can hear it from here. "What can you get for £9.99?!?! HAHA, Scythe13, you're a fool!" Yes, I can still hear NR chuckling. Well, to be fair, that's the same thing I thought. However, for £10, it's worth a punt. You know what....I'm genuinely impressed!

I have been in 2 minds, for a long time, about which multitool, what company, what features, which is the best metal to cut through wire, and much more issues. Check out the number of threads I've asked about multitools on. It's a lot! So I thought, I need to change my car battery, so I might as well spend £10 to check out how good these multitools are, whether it's worth owning one and whether it's worth spending more on a higher quality one.

It's a 12 features in 1, and comes with a heavy duty nylon case with popper style closure.

Case:
The black nylon case weights very little, and holds it's shape, which makes placing the tool into it's case very easy.
The case has a belt loop fixture on the back, but not a pocket clip, so if pocket clips are your thing, sorry about that. But all in all, I'm impressed with the case.

Tool:
The Stanley Multitool, is a good robust tool. I've played around with loads of multitools and in total fairness, the feel of this one is up there with the Gerber Diesel and the upper costing Leatherman range.
Out of the case, the tool feels solid. The metal exterior of the handles of the tool are drilled to keep the weight down, while the sides are hard black plastic, also drilled.
Opening the tool into it's plier shape does require a little more work than some of the more expensive tools. But this could well be because it's new. A little WD40 will easily sort this out.
The extra tools are stored in the handles, but unlike some other multitools, the tool must be in the plier position to allow access to the other handle held items. If you don't like this system, then it won't be for you.
Accessing the alternative tools is easy enough. Like a Swiss Army knife, they have the ridges in the sides of the blades to allow them to be opened from inside the handle.
All tools are really good, feel sturdy, and are very impressive. They don't feel like they are low quality, and they're more likely to damage the things they're working with, than themselves.
The hinge of the pliers is very strong and there is no play in it at all! The pliers are smooth, but there is a slight sticking point on one of my handle hinges that stops the tool smoothly opening to full width; so it starts closing the handle. The difference between reaching full opening and the handle closing point is as little as 2mm (no joke) so it's really not an issue.
The tool feels tough enough that it would make a pretty good hammer, it feels that strong.
The wire cutters are the only real let down. They don't seem to be very sharp, but that's not really something they need to be. With wire cutters, it's only really a question of whether they're strong enough. Judging from the rest of the tool, although the wire cutters don't look stunning, they'll probably do the job perfectly well.

I'll give more updates to this the more I use them.

Rating: 5*
You get a hell of a lot of bang for the buck with this tool! For £10, you'll be getting a much higher value tool than what most other companies are offering, for £30, £40, and even up around the £60 mark!!! No joke!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 December 2012, 11:35,
RE: Stanley Multi Tool Review
I've got Stanley folding secateurs in my BOB

4 December 2012, 20:17, (This post was last modified: 4 December 2012, 20:17 by Terry.)
RE: Stanley Multi Tool Review
Its what I carried at work for many years, the other lads got Leathermans and I just laughed as I could break/abuse mine (and replace it) up to six times for what they paid for theirs!

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID...tAodiCkAhQ

I dont like the lack of positive lock up when you use a tool and the pliers part is closed, but for the money it's a good deal!

All the best

Ter