Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice needed please
4 December 2012, 20:23,
advice needed please
Hi guys I need some advice I am thinking of getting about 6 chooks for the garden next year which breed make the best layers? I have had ex battery hens in the past but found their laying was more hit than miss Undecided
4 December 2012, 20:30,
RE: advice needed please
Rhode islands are good layers and quite hardly. Light Sussex also good layers. Both of these will lay up to 250 max. Some sort of hybrid will lay upto 300 eggs a year.
Ex batts are past there best when it comes to laying large quaunties of eggs. Would i worked in a baatery house 18 months and the hens were sent 'Shiphams' for sandwich spreads.
Failure is NOT an option
4 December 2012, 20:30,
I dont think you will go wrong with Rhode Island Reds,.. good layers, and big birds too
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 December 2012, 20:31,
I would love some chooks for breeding but I know the neighbours would complain about the cockerel skriking at stupid oclock Sad If I were to be allowed a Cockerel, I would have to dispose of all male chooks first that were born from the fertile eggs Sad I don't know of anyway to stop a Cockerel coockadooadoing... I can't give you any advice on breeds but just food for thought....Hope you have good neighbours?
If you change the way you look at things..The things you look at change !
4 December 2012, 20:32,
Two Rhode island Reds, post at the same second,... must be good....lol
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 December 2012, 20:46,
Thanks guys @prepaday no cockerels as I live next door to my landlady and think she would evict me lol Rhode island reds it is I miss my girls can't wait to have some more Smile
4 December 2012, 21:17,
Houndlover are you going to buy fully grown chickens, point of lay, pullets or sexed chicks. Thats the next question you will have to ask yourself.
Failure is NOT an option
4 December 2012, 22:00,
buy point of lay..... morrans..... are great layers for about 2-3 years then..... the pot
4 December 2012, 22:04,
Tbh Uks I want point of lay that way I reap the benefit straight away Straight shooter that also sounds like a plan I could have 3 solely for that as well Wink
5 December 2012, 10:31,
I'd stay away from pure breeds and go with hybrids. They don't live as long as pure breeds (3-4 yrs on average, compared to about 6 for pure breeds) but they are very hardy, resistant to disease and are very good layers. I've got 6 mixed hybrids and get 4-6 eggs every day, even through the winter when most pure breeds either stop laying or slow down.

When they stop laying they will be replaced and go in the pot - if you want to have replacements on tap then make sure you have a decent cockeril, these can be pretty noisy and aggressive though, so be sure you get on with your neighbours. Big Grin

73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine