Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
prepping on a budget
4 December 2012, 22:17,
prepping on a budget
I know this link is only a short piece, but I feel its great advice,..I have often tried to talk to people not so much about prepping, but `saving for a rainy day`,..in the hope that I can make up another prepper,.. and so often I get people saying how hard it is to manage from one week to the next, let alone buy extra for storing.

Lots of us here, have been preppers for years, and I dare say it was a lot easier to start years ago,... but I think its part of being a prepper to try and help others to think about things in the same way as we do, I sometimes think that too many of us are too secretive about what we are trying to do,.. but if we made a real effort to help others to at least save,.. then we would be helping ourselves if the shtf,.. because there might just be a few hundred people less who would be after what we have.

I am not about to go public or anything daft like that, but I think I will try a lot harder in future to make people think in a different way, and persuade them that putting things by,... however slowly, is of great importance

http://prepareyourselftosurvive.com/prep...n-a-budget
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 December 2012, 22:35,
RE: prepping on a budget
I try to do this ALL the time " close freinds and family" i just aswell lick nettles.....but i still try though
4 December 2012, 22:42,
How do people try and direct people towards prepping/saving?, do we start talking about recent events like Storm Sandy,...or maybe the new T.V program.

I mentioned the program to a friend of mine, and asked him to watch it, I told him about certain things that would hopfully make him thinks,................. it didnt work, he doesnt have a wine cellar big enough
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 December 2012, 04:51,
A lot of folks who I spoke to all mentioned along the lines of they are up to their eyeballs in bills etc. I said begin by buying an extra tin or two of something that they could put away and not use immediately. I spoke of hurricane Sandy and how a lot of folks could have fared better if they had set aside 2 weeks' food and some water (built up slowly) but all I got was some cursory grunt in response.
These were close friends and a neighbour whom I thought were all fore-thinking folks.
I will try with my friends again but after this last try will leave them to their decision if they still will not bother to think seriously about prepping - even if it is just to help them avoid being stung by the coming food price rises (a lot of which have already started)...

Sheeple *sigh*...
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
5 December 2012, 09:47, (This post was last modified: 5 December 2012, 09:48 by NorthernRaider.)
I think prepping on a tight budget is usually the best way of doing it, gradual stockpiling of selected supplies and items bought only when on offer and only stuff we actually like or need is a very wise way of proceeding. Sadly all to often newbie folks awaken to prepping and throw themselves at it like theres no tomorrow (pun intended), these folks often thow enormous amounts of money and effort in an effort to catch up and often end up with over priced and unsuitable kit bought on a whim. My heart breaks for many newcomers because instead of reading and researching then making a plan they go galavanting off like a man possessed and inevitably end up disallusioned and fed up a few months down the line.
(5 December 2012, 04:51)Mandlaka Wrote: A lot of folks who I spoke to all mentioned along the lines of they are up to their eyeballs in bills etc. I said begin by buying an extra tin or two of something that they could put away and not use immediately. I spoke of hurricane Sandy and how a lot of folks could have fared better if they had set aside 2 weeks' food and some water (built up slowly) but all I got was some cursory grunt in response.
These were close friends and a neighbour whom I thought were all fore-thinking folks.
I will try with my friends again but after this last try will leave them to their decision if they still will not bother to think seriously about prepping - even if it is just to help them avoid being stung by the coming food price rises (a lot of which have already started)...

Sheeple *sigh*...

You can lead a horse to water but its still not a camel.

5 December 2012, 10:53,
there's an old saying goes something like" slowly, slowly, catchee monkey" , this goes for prepping too, slowly, slowly build up your preps, little bit at a time, dont go mad and buy loads, you'll only put yourself in debt!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 December 2012, 17:38,
(5 December 2012, 10:53)bigpaul Wrote: there's an old saying goes something like" slowly, slowly, catchee monkey" , this goes for prepping too, slowly, slowly build up your preps, little bit at a time, dont go mad and buy loads, you'll only put yourself in debt!
I agree a little and often
I'm new to prepping in the sense of getting sorted for a SHTF situation, but I've always had well stocked cupboards just incase, a decent wood pile for the winter, alternative ways of heating the house and cooking my food for power outages, but I see prepping as a mind set or a life style choice, something thats part of your normal daily life, some people have that mind set alot don't
I've been a alotment gardener for many years and I see it time and again where people get a plot for the first time, coss growing your own is the in thing to do and regardless of the number of times I've said to people take it a little bit at a time, little and often, be patient it will take a number of years to get the plot sorted, they try to clear the whole lot in one go, get fed up and abandon the plot. All they have achieved is waisted energy and a bad back
5 December 2012, 18:24, (This post was last modified: 5 December 2012, 18:25 by Prepper1.)
Its too much "effort" for most to even make a cursory foray into prepping, text speak c.b.a. (cant be arsed) springs to mind.
The more you tell the more will come looking because they know you've prepared, be careful.
Too much football to watch, too much corry to catch up on too little time to get pissed etc...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
5 December 2012, 23:18,
I spend around £10 a week regularly on supplies. I just trawl the food stalls and discount pound shops, then transfer it to my locker at college, then take it home on the bus and ferrying it back a bit at a time on my bike. It's amazing what you can get If you know where to look.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
5 December 2012, 23:41,
It's got out at work that my housemate and I prepping and they all think we're a looney... But then they ask if I can go get them should SHTF for some reason! Yeah, I want leachers consuming my preps when they had exactly the same opportunity!
It's a tricky one getting people you care about to get involved though, without seeming like some doomsday preacher crackpot!
Might have to investigate low impact prepping gifts for xmas to spur them on without being in their faces about it.