Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hmmm, possible?
6 December 2012, 00:05,
Hmmm, possible?
If there was an EMP and an accidental fire gets out of control, could it burn the city, town to the ground? If water was not able to be pumped into main pipes then is it poss?
Would fire engines still be able to drive? Could it be fire of London all over again?
Where would fire engines get the water from, if the town/city had no river/lake ETC near by?
If you change the way you look at things..The things you look at change !
6 December 2012, 00:10,
RE: Hmmm, possible?
It would be the Colossal Conflagration of Londonistan and not the Great Fire again.
No working fire engines = no working pumps in them and also the water will cease to flow pretty quick if the pumping stations went down due to that EMP.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
6 December 2012, 00:12,
Look at how quickly the Camden lock market went up a few years ago...

6 December 2012, 00:27,
So...All the leccy goes off and you will be sure that some wanna be chav Bear Grills will show off his fire starting/making skills in the back garden, probs using wet wood which will spark up and fly everywhere, probs onto next doors wooden shed, He may well throw a few batteries onto the fire coz he's a dick....Next thing ya know...Another reason for me to rethink about bugging in.
6 December 2012, 00:38,
(6 December 2012, 00:27)Prepaday Wrote: So...All the leccy goes off and you will be sure that some wanna be chav Bear Grills will show off his fire starting/making skills in the back garden, probs using wet wood which will spark up and fly everywhere, probs onto next doors wooden shed, He may well throw a few batteries onto the fire coz he's a dick....Next thing ya know...Another reason for me to rethink about bugging in.

Yup. Terraced houses are obviously much more susceptible to this, but there's also the risk of arson too - which would mean that no house is safe.

Fire - the preppers biggest challenge??
6 December 2012, 00:44,
A whole city or town is not going to burn down in the UK due to an accidental fire, or even a deliberate, perhaps dozens of deliberate ones. A block of linked buildings may, but as compared to the large fires we know of in history that destroyed cities, the cities back then were made out of much more flammable materials and contained many things which you are just not allowed to store in any great amount in built up areas.

However, in the event of an EMP attack, fire could be a friend to a lot of people wanting to reduce numbers of people or control their movement. In the event of an EMP I would expect to see a number of gas explosions as fail safes in gas equipment do not work. These would need a source of ignition - normally an electric spark and anyone with any sense would turn off the gas and ventilate.

The odds I think at the moment of an EMP are slimmer than former members of The Carpenters.
6 December 2012, 00:53,
A " Terrorist " with a box of matches, lethal combination Sad
6 December 2012, 01:12,
If there is just one terrorist, they are going to be restricted to a small area as post EMP they are going to be using matches and a lighter. Would a terrorist be acting post EMP or would they be making their way out of there not knowing what was happening? It is actually a smaller risk than we would have at the moment I would say.
6 December 2012, 08:50,
(6 December 2012, 00:44)BDG Wrote: The odds I think at the moment of an EMP are slimmer than former members of The Carpenters.

Not so sure about that,.. last year the number of days with solar flares numbered very few,.. this year there hasnt been a single day without one,.. and they say the peek is next year

...add to that an EMP due to a weapon, well both China and one other country [ and I cant remember who ], have already admitted they have such a weapon.

What better way to disable a country, and that country wouldnt even have the equipment going to find out where it even came from
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 December 2012, 08:59,
I'm with beardy on this. Look at how the riots played out 2 years ago. Having said that, that all happened pretty late in the day, when the real fire starting set off. So the streets were much quieter.

In the day, there would be a huge issue with cars. Having said that, most new buildings are built to contain fires and have built in fire protection, like sprinklers, fire doors, fireproof walls, etc.

Look at 9/11 as well (let's not get into conspiracy stuff, whether true or false). There was some huge reasons to start a city wide fire. However, it didn't happen, simply because the buildings are built to withstand that sort of temperature.....I'm on about near by buildings taking the heat of a flame. Let's not go to huge extremes and start believing they can withstand a meteor from space. But a typical fire.....they can withstand those.

An older building city, like Chester, would be much more dangerous in a city wide fire situation, because so many of the buildings are built of wooden frames.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin