Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heating Fuel Comparison
13 December 2012, 19:31, (This post was last modified: 13 December 2012, 19:32 by Tarrel.)
Heating Fuel Comparison
Don't know if this is useful but, since we've put our Rayburn in, I've been very conscious of the differing calorific values of various fuels, and how well they succeed in putting heat into our thermal store. The following is based on local experience, and you may be able to obtain different prices in your locality:

Fuel Unit kWh/unit Cost/unit Cost/kWH

Anthracite Kg 9.44 £0.34 3.6p
Heating oil litre 9.72 £0.70 7.2p
Wood Kg 4.44 £0.23 5.2p
Gas cu m 11.94 £0.66 5.5p
Wood Briq. Kg 5.00 £0.28 5.6p
Electricity kWh 1.00 £0.14 14.4p

The above does not take into account the efficiencies of various appliances (i.e how well they convert the kWh in the fuel to actual heat), but most modern stoves and boilers will be similar at 80+%

Burning softwood, our Rayburn is struggling to meet the demand for heating and hot water, so I had been running the oil-fired boiler for a couple of hours to boost it. However, I've discovered that chucking in a few kg of good quality smokeless fuel seems to give it the boost it needs, and is half the price per kWh, compared with running the oil boiler!

I think this demonstrates the benefit of having in place a multi-fuel stove as part of one's preps, ideally providing hot water as well, that can run on coal or wood. Even if you have your own wood supply (as we have), keeping half a tonne of coal in stock is not expensive, and is grid-independent, giving you resilience in an emergency.

Out of interest, if one uses 35,000kWh per year and was to switch all your heating and hot water from oil to coal, you'd save around £1,200 per year based on the above figures. If you were to invest £6000 in a modern, efficient multi-fuel boiler stove, this would represent a 20% return per year on the investment, which is roughly 2.5 times what the interest would be on a loan to fund it, or 5 times the best rate you could get by leaving the £6k in the bank. Plus, you'd have the benefit of being able to scavenge for wood and thus supplementing your fuel use further.

Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted.

p.s. Anyone know how to format a table on here?!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
13 December 2012, 21:10,
RE: Heating Fuel Comparison
(13 December 2012, 19:31)Tarrel Wrote: Don't know if this is useful but, since we've put our Rayburn in, I've been very conscious of the differing calorific values of various fuels, and how well they succeed in putting heat into our thermal store. The following is based on local experience, and you may be able to obtain different prices in your locality:

Fuel Unit kWh/unit Cost/unit Cost/kWH

Anthracite Kg 9.44 £0.34 3.6p
Heating oil litre 9.72 £0.70 7.2p
Wood Kg 4.44 £0.23 5.2p
Gas cu m 11.94 £0.66 5.5p
Wood Briq. Kg 5.00 £0.28 5.6p
Electricity kWh 1.00 £0.14 14.4p

The above does not take into account the efficiencies of various appliances (i.e how well they convert the kWh in the fuel to actual heat), but most modern stoves and boilers will be similar at 80+%

Burning softwood, our Rayburn is struggling to meet the demand for heating and hot water, so I had been running the oil-fired boiler for a couple of hours to boost it. However, I've discovered that chucking in a few kg of good quality smokeless fuel seems to give it the boost it needs, and is half the price per kWh, compared with running the oil boiler!

I think this demonstrates the benefit of having in place a multi-fuel stove as part of one's preps, ideally providing hot water as well, that can run on coal or wood. Even if you have your own wood supply (as we have), keeping half a tonne of coal in stock is not expensive, and is grid-independent, giving you resilience in an emergency.

Out of interest, if one uses 35,000kWh per year and was to switch all your heating and hot water from oil to coal, you'd save around £1,200 per year based on the above figures. If you were to invest £6000 in a modern, efficient multi-fuel boiler stove, this would represent a 20% return per year on the investment, which is roughly 2.5 times what the interest would be on a loan to fund it, or 5 times the best rate you could get by leaving the £6k in the bank. Plus, you'd have the benefit of being able to scavenge for wood and thus supplementing your fuel use further.

Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted.

p.s. Anyone know how to format a table on here?!

hi
we have a italian made rayburn type cooker it does our cooking hot water and cental heating we have a large hot water tank and can get water to 80 in hour and half been using for the last six years
cheaper than bottle gas oil
cost about 5k then a lot of money but u get wat u pay for should out last us
we burn very dry logs only at least stored for a year aim to store for 4 years u can get a gimo to check moiser in wood dry wood means less tar in flue
waste wood eg pallet burn fast but little heat and loads of tar
coals ok but costs more down here best price 6.00 a 25kg bag
burn about 500 pounds of wood a year which we buy in thats 6 very big loads filling a area 6x6x6 full to the top
we have a back up bottle gas cooker just in case
hope this helps
thks
13 December 2012, 21:20,
RE: Heating Fuel Comparison
We think we have the heating/electric sorted pretty well, we have 16 solar panels on the roof, which give plenty of electric and hot water especialy in the brighter months.
We have a multi fueled stove linked to the oil central heating, so when the fire is on, the oil isnt,... but if we do ever need a boost then it there

Our coal,.. we trickle buy throughout the summer, we find thats a far cheaper way to buy, at the moment its just over £6 a 25k bag, it was cheaper during the summer when we bought ours

Logs are free, we can get more than enough wood without charge

We dont use gas
A major part of survival is invisibility.