Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheat types
13 December 2012, 20:10,
Wheat types
I'm trying to get a better understanding of how to grow grains with regards to SHTF, and I know there are a few good ole boys on here who could possibly enlighten me. What I want to know is "what is the difference between Wheat you sow in Autumn, and Wheat you sow in Spring?" and do they both produce the same type of flour (specifically for bread etc)
13 December 2012, 21:29,
RE: Wheat types
hi
look in john seymores fat of the land book
i think winter has longer straw and is ready lot sooner
13 December 2012, 21:33,
Don't have it mate that's why I'm asking
13 December 2012, 21:37,
Winter and summer wheat are basicly the same,.. its just that one is a hardy variety able to deal with cold and wet better,...I am not sure, but I think the summer variety has a bigger yeald, winter crop being more stunted
A major part of survival is invisibility.
13 December 2012, 21:57, (This post was last modified: 13 December 2012, 21:59 by Straight Shooter.)
google doves farm you will get all the info there look for wheat grain on the right go to grain types ... the grains i buy £17.00 for 25 kls ....you can by flours they to and lots lots more ...if you want mylar bags and oxi obsorbers go to fresherpac .com hope this helps ss
by the way the this will grow even up by you.....no problem
13 December 2012, 22:13,
just checked winter needs cold to head up in spring
spring sow dos not
winter has great yields than spring
14 December 2012, 14:09,
Thanks for input folks, what I'm trying to get at is quality of flour regarding wheat types. For instance when I buy some Italian/French bread, you know the taste I'm talking about, why doesn't flour I buy make the same tasting bread? does the flour that makes French sticks or Ciabatta's come from a different type of wheat that we don't grow here or is it all the same. The deeper I go into this I realise there can be a world of difference in seed types.
14 December 2012, 21:35,
the flavours of french and italian bread is added at the bakery. we make about 50 different blends of flour from only 2 types of wheat,i will find out some information tomorrow and try and type it all out
14 December 2012, 21:47,
thanks stewart that would be good
15 December 2012, 13:25,
(14 December 2012, 21:35)Stewart Wrote: the flavours of french and italian bread is added at the bakery. we make about 50 different blends of flour from only 2 types of wheat,i will find out some information tomorrow and try and type it all out

You are a StarBig Grin