Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
musket
4 February 2013, 11:56,
musket
Do you need a licence for a smoothbore flintlock or percussion musket-un rifled?
and can you use Pyrodex as propellant?
4 February 2013, 12:01,
RE: musket
Corr good question, I wonder if the same would apply to a similarily ignited blunderbus ?

4 February 2013, 12:07,
methinks we are of the same thoughtBig Grin
If they fall into an obsolete calibre category you might not need a licence. I think you can buy Pyrodex without a licence but not 100% sure, and I know Pyrodex is a black powder substitute so might also work. Lead moulds can be got in any calibre, and i know you can still buy flints for the Hammer, mmmmmmm
4 February 2013, 13:46,
The Home Office has a list of ‘Obsolete Calibre’ rifles, shotguns and pistols. These may be bought, sold and possessed without a license of any kind, provided that they are owned as curios only. These weapons may not be fired and to possess ammunition for them is likely to invalidate any claim that they are not for use. No ammunition is considered ‘obsolete’. Among the ‘obsolete calibres’ we find vintage pin-fires, muzzle-loaders, rim-fires (not including .22 and .9mm) and large bore shotguns like 4-bore and 8-bore. The rules only apply to pre-1939 manufactured weapons (so a 1995 Pedersoli 12-bore muzzle-loader is not considered ‘obsolete’ under Section 58 but an 1840 Manton is).

Pre 1939 rifles, shotguns and punt guns chambered for the following cartridges: 32-bore 24-bore, 14-bore, 10- bore (2 5/8" and 2 7/8" chambers only), 8-bore, 4-bore, 3-bore, 2-bore, 1 1/8 bore, 1 ¼ bore and 1 ½ bore, are all considered ‘obsolete’.

Any weapons listed on the ‘Obsolete Calibre ’ list may be hung on the wall or form part of a display, as there are no security requirements. It is important to stress that any attempt to fire a Section 58 weapon is an extremely serious offence, which could lead to a prison sentence.

modern smooth bore muskets which can safely be fired fall under the same laws as any rifle and you will require a firearm certificate as for antique muskets i don't think i would want to fire one ,Exceptions to the ban include muzzle-loading "black powder" guns, pistols produced before 1917 which are classed as antique which maybe kept with no intention of firing them and no ammunition maybe kept for them , as for black powder you would require an explosives license
4 February 2013, 13:58,
Bugger!

4 February 2013, 14:13,
Blackpowder guns need to be declared and allowed on your FAC.

I was looking into those after watching The Patriot a few months back.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 February 2013, 14:41,
The old man has a couple of muskets, a blunder-bus and an old Luger that my gradfather bought back with him after WW2.
I got into the loft when they were out one day and found this strange little pouch of black powder and a load of tiny little ball bearings. Being especially pleased with myself I bought these down to investigate further. On presenting my parents with my find, exclaiming proudly "Look what I found!" they were quickly removed from my possession, and I was told that I hadn't found them, as they were not lost - they were just stored up there so I wouldn't find them.

The blunderbus is a thing of beauty
4 February 2013, 15:19,
we are not aload any good toys Sad
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
4 February 2013, 15:56, (This post was last modified: 4 February 2013, 15:57 by Scythe13.)
(4 February 2013, 15:19)Barneyboy Wrote: we are not aload any good toys Sad

You are. But you have to get on a list, be tracked by the government, and have them know LOADS more about you than they already do.

Musket you could probably put as being required for Civil War battle reenacting or something like that.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin