Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Any Crossbow experts here?
18 December 2012, 22:18,
Question  Any Crossbow experts here?
Hello everyone,

My first post on here and im going to get right on it

I have been trawling the net for Crossbow info and got to a point where i have no idea which way to go. I was going for an Amrex Jaguar 175lb rifle bow as its my first time getting a bow, then i thought 'na, might as well get the best thing i can afford'.

So im back again at square one and no idea what to get???

I have looked into recurve and compound bows. Both have their advantages mainly: Recurve is easy on the field and maintenance. Compound gives a greater punch. I was thinking if there is a not too expensive recurve which will give me good speed and power then i might as well go for that.

So what do you guys recommend?

Somewhere around the £200 - £300 mark including all the bolts and other bits and pieces.

Thanks guys
18 December 2012, 22:28,
RE: Any Crossbow experts here?
Welcome to the forum, afraid I carnt help you with crossbow advice
18 December 2012, 22:31,
Welcome to the forum

I have that same jaguar crossbow, I am still no expert with it, but I can at least comment on it.

It is easy to put together, and the parts seem to be of quality,.. the scope is alright but lacks cross hairs, having a red dot instead,.. zeroing the weapon is not that easy,..or I didnt find it easy as the instructions are not great,..a little trial and error does the trick here,.... it does come with open rear sights if you prefer.

All crossbow take longer to load than a conventional bow,... but loading the jaguar is easy, once the string is pulled back and it clicks back, the safety is automacticly on.

I dont have any other crossbow experience, but I am of the oppinion that on a whole I think it is a very good buy
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 December 2012, 22:35,
Welcome. Straight into the questions. I like it.

As with everything I think you need to decide what you want to use the crossbow for first. Then that helps decide the crossbow power and then the bolts. Want it for hunting after TSHTF, Self defence or for just playing around.

Crossbows are not difficult, just like a rifle it is simply point and click. The only difference is the reloads take a lot longer.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 December 2012, 22:45,
Thanks for the fast replies everyone. And thanks for the quick registration Skeane Dhude!

I need a crossbow for a TSHTF situation for hunting and self-defence. Just something to keep at home. I will probably practice with it in the back yard. Im in 2 minds if i should get the best i can afford or just go for the Jaguar. The Jaguar sounds pretty good but in a life or death situation i would prefer to have the best i can afford.

Not really sure what to do lol.
18 December 2012, 22:51,
I've got a Jaguar myself as well as a couple of others. After TSHTF it will be good at taking down most of the animals in the UK, except for the larger deer. As for self defence it is a frightening thing to have pointed at you but remember you only get one shot. If you add broadheads to the mix then you can take down the deer as well.

Remember it is illegal to hunt with a crossbow atm but you can certainly practise with a target to protect the bolts.

You will also lose bolts. I've lost a few so make sure you get plenty of spares.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 December 2012, 22:56,
Urbangurrila is your name from the hawkwind song?
18 December 2012, 22:56,
As SD said, it will certainly take down any animal you are likely to want to hunt,..depending on the arrowhead,....its not a quiet as you might expect, giving off a noise simular to an air rifle

The bolts are good, but fragile, if you hit anything too hard they will bend, hit wood and you will not get the arrowhead out without cutting it out,... but they are also soft enough to straighten too
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 December 2012, 23:07, (This post was last modified: 18 December 2012, 23:08 by UrbanGuerrilla.)
(18 December 2012, 22:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: I've got a Jaguar myself as well as a couple of others. After TSHTF it will be good at taking down most of the animals in the UK, except for the larger deer. As for self defence it is a frightening thing to have pointed at you but remember you only get one shot. If you add broadheads to the mix then you can take down the deer as well.

Remember it is illegal to hunt with a crossbow atm but you can certainly practise with a target to protect the bolts.

You will also lose bolts. I've lost a few so make sure you get plenty of spares.

Im thinking i might as well get the jaguar. The better crossbows are out of my league but i have heard some good stuff about the jaguar. I will try and mod it to get the best out of it.

(18 December 2012, 22:56)Metroyeti Wrote: Urbangurrila is your name from the hawkwind song?

Na its from my old geography teacher from high school lol!

I was always ranting and raving about something like the government etc so thats what he started calling me.
18 December 2012, 23:10,
Mod it? I wouldn't bother. Many people mod their kit and imo there is little or no benefit to do so.
Skean Dhude