Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Government still exists post-SHTF
18 December 2012, 23:56,
Government still exists post-SHTF
I was watching Threads, the 80's film about a nuclear bombed Britain, when this occurred to me.

You've layed low in a rural BOL/ farming capable site for the first few months. The scenario isn't necessarily nuclear but it is most definitely full blown SHTF. You kept your animals hidden, you have a group with you ready to form a new community. Your tribe is self sufficient and stable.

It turns out that some form of emergency government still exists, though mainly in urban areas. They are struggling to get along, with the full range of emergency powers against looters, all food confiscated and redistributed to the workforce. Some still cling to the hope of return to normal life. If you've seen threads you could probably imagine what I'm describing.

My question. Do you hide, attempt to make peace or do you begin living with no respect for the authority of this post-disaster government? By this I mean treating the old system as just another tribe, albeit a bloated bureaucratic system with plenty of disposable manpower to throw at "agitators" or whatever they deem those who prepared and are now doing OK on their own.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
19 December 2012, 00:04,
RE: Government still exists post-SHTF
I think that if I was able to,.. I would hide untill such times that I was absolutly sure of what kind of `goverment` was out there,... going back into a an old social network might well be the wrong move,... they will most likely be thinking of themselves just like everyone else,... they may well take what supplies you have,.. ` for the good of all`,... this is where preppers might have the upper hand
A major part of survival is invisibility.
19 December 2012, 00:48,
Keep my head down and keep my preps hidden.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 December 2012, 01:02,
Hide...DO NOT...draw any attention to yourself...YOU will not know for sure WHO your dealing with...you will loose your liberty ...or worse.....if there,s mass die off,s THEY will come looking for survivor,s....THEY know you have food ...or... the means to grow it ...for the very fact your alive......THEY...not sheeple BUT gov bodies...military....police ....you will become thier asset...along with any supplies you have.......THEY will be tooled up...night vission...heat seeking camras..and the like...helicopters.... underground...almost anywhere would be good for you...DO NOT welcome anyone in a uniform..FULL STOP..they will not be friends ....they will be Foe
19 December 2012, 03:41,
Caution beyond paranoia!

I'd try and get a watch on them. Make sure they're under surveillance 24/7. If they are legit gov with troops and police, their training makes them a major potential threat! Low resources makes things worse! They could very quickly become predators.

One thing I'd start doing, as quickly but quietly as possible, get burying things we had, like food etc, at 2 other locations away from where we were hiding. The idea would be simple, have 1 week of food open and available.....at MOST!!! Preferably less. That way, if the gov decided to find you, you could evacuate pretty quickly and not risk a huge loss of resources.

Oh, and make sure everyone has their BOB readily packed.....just in case.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 December 2012, 10:19,
as i'm going to do anyway WTSHTF, HIDE-total isolation, interact with no one for at least 6 months, then VERY carefully see who is left in the immediate rural areas, one place i wont be going is a city or a very large town.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 December 2012, 14:54,
Civilisation is the only thing that keeps some people 'Law abiding' without it....well.Confused

I would keep my head down for a very long time because you may just find yourself on the wrong side of a tribal/group leader that has his/her very own take on 'Law and Civilised' behaviour.

Fuedal law would be a fickle master.Undecided
19 December 2012, 15:43,
(19 December 2012, 14:54)SealDriver Wrote: Civilisation is the only thing that keeps some people 'Law abiding' without it....well.Confused

I would keep my head down for a very long time because you may just find yourself on the wrong side of a tribal/group leader that has his/her very own take on 'Law and Civilised' behaviour.

Fuedal law would be a fickle master.Undecided

yeah, you could end up "conscripted" into someone private army, like in "The Postman" !! better keep a low profile and stay away from other people, easy for "loners", not so easy for others who "need" to interact.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 December 2012, 16:33,
Guerrilla warfare all the way. I have very little respect for the current law(s) anyway.

I do have respect for people's rights, and I am respectful enough to treat people as I would wish to be treated.
19 December 2012, 16:43,
i have no respect for what i call "the common herd", most of them are too stupid to survive for long on their own and have no common sense to speak of, this country is now far removed from the "pull together" generation of WW2 and are more inclined to take something from someone else because they "deserve" it or "its my right" or just because they can.