Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Khukuri Club
20 December 2012, 15:49,
Khukuri Club
Hi guys, so, who actually owns a Khukuri and what do you think of them as a tool?
If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
20 December 2012, 18:37,
RE: Khukuri Club
I've two. Not the foreign ones though and I've never used them yet. They feel very comfortable in the hand and easy to handle. They need sharpened before I do anything serious..
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 December 2012, 20:41,
I dont own one, but have used them in the far east,.. I am not saying they are not good, because they are, but personaly I prefer a `normal` blade.

The Khukuri has a curved blade so that when the blade hits the object to be cut it acts like a sliceing blade as opposed to a hitting blade, it sounds the better way to design it,.... but in reality, it takes a long time to be able to use it well,... if you hit [say] a log with the khukuri blade too far back you hit the log with the point, the point could go the right side of the log, or it may just come off the wrong side and towards your leg,......if you hit the log with the blade too far forward, then you hit the log in the curve of the tool and it doesnt work,....a `normal` blade it doesnt matter what part of the blade hits, it will still cut
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 December 2012, 21:50,
No I have a brush hook which is like a slimmed down Billhook, very light, well balanced and sharp....I use it for most cutting jobs even cutting down small trees.Wink
21 December 2012, 00:10,
My Father has a nice one, I have been taming a lot of old hedge so when I go to his to pick up the chainsaw I pick up the khukuri too. Love the way it works in restricted space as opposed to something like a machete. I have tried out out for digging where it is much better than the machete and it is a good little hoe like a machete but much more relaxed to use.

I do plan to get one in future, but as I have a lot of tools that can do the jobs it can do - but not such a really good jack of all as it - I will wait before putting out the kind of money a good one costs, or if I get some spare time on the forge I have some leaf spring that needs fettling.
21 December 2012, 14:17,
I've got an old Cold Steel Khukuri and to be honest the only thing "real" about it is that it superficially looks like one lol, the blade dimensions are all wrong, and it just doesn't feel like a real nepali one, which is why I am looking to get an authentic piece. All in it will be around the 70-100 pound mark for one from Khukuri House. It does sound pricey but I think it is justified seeing as it will last a considerable number of years of hard use, and in my experience reliability costs money.
21 December 2012, 14:40,
(21 December 2012, 14:17)Tartar Horde Wrote: ..........around the 70-100 pound mark for one from Khukuri House. It does sound pricey but I think it is justified seeing as it will last a considerable number of years of hard use, and in my experience reliability costs money.

I think you're right...... I'm in conversation with them at the moment about getting a matched pair; one for me and one for.......... me Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

MA
If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
21 December 2012, 16:47, (This post was last modified: 21 December 2012, 16:48 by Tartar Horde.)
They op a free engraving service as well, get your names and date on, nice little touch

don't forget to haggle hard mate and you might get a discount if you order two hehe
21 December 2012, 17:08,
(21 December 2012, 16:47)Tartar Horde Wrote: They op a free engraving service as well, get your names and date on, nice little touch

don't forget to haggle hard mate and you might get a discount if you order two hehe

Aye, just so I don't pick the wrong one up....... perhaps "left" and "right" would be a good idea Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
21 December 2012, 18:17,
I was given a khukuri when i was attached to them (6th Queen Elizabeth's Own Gurkha Rifles). They were a great bunch of blokes and great fun. Lovely curries they made.
Use at least twice a week for kindling and gardening.They showed me how to use and how the keep it in tip top condition.
They also told me of the stories about the Falklands like getting into the argies camps using the khukuri on one person in a two man tent all leaving the other one untouched it must have played on the mind of the argies.
Failure is NOT an option