Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAC questions
25 December 2012, 11:24,
RE: FAC questions
SD I can only speak from my experiences and those of my hunting and target shooting friends. If you belong to a rifle club that doesn't have secure storage then the police cannot expect you to store your rifle with them.

If a newbie wishes to join a rifle club to improve their marksmanship and then go out hunting then the Police can not expect a shooter to draw his/her rifle from the rifle club each time they wish to use it for hunting.

Different Police Forces have different views on what is considered 'secure', talking to the Police, BASC and a few local clubs may have the desired affect.

Depending on where you live, land permission may be difficult to obtain especially if that person is a novice and unfamiliar to hunting with firearms.

Some local forces prefer new shooters to find themselves an experienced shooter to coach them and act as a referee on the newbies FAC application.

If I was going for my first FAC licence, I would do a great deal of research and if required I would jump through the hoops the Police told me too (within reason) in-order to obtain my licence, in fact I did. On my re-newal I was given an open license and I have had an open license ever since.

A bit of give and take goes along way.
25 December 2012, 14:07,
SD,

You misunderstand me. All I was saying is that if you apply to a club that has secure storage and you state target shooting only on your application our county will say they want the gun stored at the club. End of. I put hunting which means I get expanding and home storage on my ticket.

I would never recommend anyone to join a target shooting club only because of the potential limitations. After all what good is it locked in a club when TSHTF. Other people have different views. I'm just making my point so that those applying for a FAC see that there is a risk associated.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
25 December 2012, 20:21,
(24 December 2012, 22:45)I-K-E Wrote: I would be interested to see how you get on with the application as I'm based in Lancashire too and I'll be looking into this in the future

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet.In the new year i'll decide what to do.I might try and get a SGC (Shotgun Certificate) because it is easier in 3 ways
1.You only have to provide one referee
2.They (Firearms Licensing plod) have to find a reason why you should NOT be allowed one, where as with an FAC you have to prove good reason.
3.There is no maximum number of cartridges you can posess or buy.
Can anyone who has been through the process tell me what happens when the police officer comes round.I'm worried about OPSEC.
25 December 2012, 21:10,
LP.

An arrangement is made via phone for a visit. A plain clothed guy turns up and inspects your premises and gun safe. Asks a few questions and then leaves. Unless someone else knows the guy, usually each handles a separate area, then OPSEC is kept.

There is no maximum number of cartridges however there is a limit on what you can store in your safe and there is a limit to how much powder you can have. Cartridges add to that so be careful there.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
25 December 2012, 23:16,
(25 December 2012, 21:10)Skean Dhude Wrote: LP.

An arrangement is made via phone for a visit. A plain clothed guy turns up and inspects your premises and gun safe. Asks a few questions and then leaves. Unless someone else knows the guy, usually each handles a separate area, then OPSEC is kept.

There is no maximum number of cartridges however there is a limit on what you can store in your safe and there is a limit to how much powder you can have. Cartridges add to that so be careful there.

Thanks SD.I'll take what you've said on board as regards to cartridges.As for the firearms enquiry visit,i now assume any OPSEC for my preps will be fine as long as I don't leave stuff lying around.
25 December 2012, 23:23,
Yes. Even the FAO doesn't talk about others around you who has a FAC. he is just interested in your situation and how you answer your questions on use and storage. Mine was very helpful.
Skean Dhude
16 March 2013, 20:17,
Under UK law, you are entitled to own a shotgun, so long as you have no criminal record and are not of intemperate habits. You get a shotgun licence unless Plod can offer reasons as to why you should not.

A firearms certificate is the opposite, you are not entitled to have one, unless you can demonstrate good reason as to why you should have one, to Plod. Good reasons include, vermin control, and deer stalking over land where you have the owners written permission and/or target shooting, which requires membership of a Home office approved club.

I have never come across any club that stores your firearms, and I have been a shooter for over 30 years. The only time club storage is required is for Section 7 firearms,(which are historic handguns) There are only about 2 or 3 clubs in the UK which offer this, and even they will not store your normal long guns.

Shooting is great sport, It teaches you control and discipline.

The more people that shoot, the safer the sport becomes from legislation (shooters are also voters).

Get down to your local club, you will be made welcome and you will enjoy it !

WaylanderCool