Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wonder how many "off roaders" are preppers ?
24 December 2012, 10:39,
wonder how many "off roaders" are preppers ?
whilst going thru the posts on Bug-out vehicles on here...and some of you saying bout landy owners with roof racks etc ! its the same where i live in county Durham ....guys with suzuki Jimmnys with snorkel tubes/winchs on...bright coloured Discos with 5 spares on the roof and 4 jerry cans on a roof rack ! surely they gotta be preppers ! ? coming out the local Spar shop in gunboots and oak cammo ......i dont wanna break op-sec by giving them a nod etc....but at the same time wudnt mind learning how to "off road " properly !! not just putting the car into low ratio...moving a stick and hoping for the best...in a bug out situation....anyway theres afew clubs in the area But they all seem to be land rover owners !! tempted to join but know i wud probs use a prepper word like "bug " etc !!!! Smile
24 December 2012, 10:58,
RE: wonder how many "off roaders" are preppers ?
very few if any, i think, would be preppers, mostly "petrolheads" i suspect !!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 December 2012, 11:50,
You can always just approach them and ask questions. You don't have to use the word prepper or survival. Let them let the conversation. Just ask them how they got started, what was their favourite car to start with and so on.

It may be a good opportunity to learn and they will know a lot about off roading that could be useful to us.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 December 2012, 12:15, (This post was last modified: 24 December 2012, 12:18 by Prepper1.)
Theres a few people like that near me...I was thinking they may be preppers, but them again if they are I wouldn't talk to them anyway because they don't have opsec.
If there that blatant about it IF they were preppers, you don't want to be around them attracting attention like that...
Like B.P. says probably just petrol heads...

Though there's one near me has a wood burning stove chimney on his house, black 4x4 outside and a big locked garage...
wonder whats in there....

I think blatant advertising with a 4x4 is bad opsec.

B.P. has a normal car so do I... will not and would not have a 4x4.

I had a soccer moms suv a few years ago which put me off the style..., that attracted enough attention.

4x4 with off road capability etc would be opsec suicide.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
24 December 2012, 15:38,
its a bit late now !! got the Beast.....and wanna learn to drive it over rough ground ,muddy "puddles" and walls Big Grin will think of best way to approach these folks .
24 December 2012, 16:00,
You can take your own vehicals to these `off Road` places, and you will find that most of them have several routes, starting with very easy and moving up as you gain experience, its always good to know how to off road even if you never leave the tarmac, it all adds to the driving experience.

If you didnt want to take your own vehical, I think that some of the places have ones that can be rented for the day/half day,...always worth asking.

As for them being preppers, I somehow doubt it, look in any 4x4 magazine and you will see that this `look` is trendy,...almost a way of dressing up your Land Rover,...if they are Preppers, I personaly would stay clear
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 December 2012, 16:52,
Their OPSEC can't be that bad because you say 'they may be preppers'. Most people would not associate off roaders with preppers and having a 4x4 doesn't make you a prepper any more than having a title like 'Honourable MP' makes you honourable.

You care limiting your options for little reason imo.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 December 2012, 17:29,
British Off Road Driving Association-venues through out the UK..... http://www.borda.org.uk
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 December 2012, 18:04,
Seen one on doomsday friday with a shovel on the side and 12jerry cans on the roof, unless it was geordierob, it might have been another prepper
24 December 2012, 18:56, (This post was last modified: 24 December 2012, 18:58 by Prepper1.)
(24 December 2012, 16:52)Skean Dhude Wrote: Their OPSEC can't be that bad because you say 'they may be preppers'. Most people would not associate off roaders with preppers and having a 4x4 doesn't make you a prepper any more than having a title like 'Honourable MP' makes you honourable.

You care limiting your options for little reason imo.

Well I look at it a bit different see.
If you got to know other local preppers, even though for the sake of opsec we'll ignore that bit.
Imagine I'm sure there just like normal folks in that if they or their family were threatened, could you trust them not to give you, your supplies up etc...
I wouldn't, and my plans don't include contact with other preppers post shtf for that very reason.
That's a personal view of mine, everybody's different, some people need contact others don't .

But then again I was/am an only child.

AND my opsec generally borders on the paranoid.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...