Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Morning Charity Hike......Beginner Mistakes ReLearned!!!
1 January 2013, 12:12,
RE: Morning Charity Hike......Beginner Mistakes ReLearned!!!
Updating....

I'm just going to summarise the lessons, because I'm in a lazy mood.

1. Wear in your boots better!!!
This is hugely important, especially if you plan on travelling for a while on food. The last thing you want is to cache a pair of new boots!!!
2. Wear proper hiking socks if you're travelling a reasonable distance.
Again, you don't want to end up with blisters when you need to run away from something/someone!!!
3. Any New Gear, don't assume it's the same as the old stuff! Try and test before you NEED to use the item for real.
This is HUGE with caching again, and with any GHB/GHK (Get Home Kit). Don't assume your new boots will be the same as the older ones that you replaced. Don't assume your new jacket is as waterproof/fitting/warm/comfy as the old one, etc.
4. Test your body more often, but at an increased pace, or decreased pace, on different terrains!
This stunned me! I know the distance is easily doable, 25 miles. The thing that caught me out was the hills and the change of pace required. Yes I hurt my knee, but that's not a problem. The problem really came when I was slowing down and going down hill. On a run, that's to be expected! Not a problem. But when you slow down your pace, stuff suddenly changes! Don't believe me, bench press a weight as normal speed. It's normal, right? Now try the same weight, at less than half speed!!! Damn that feels different, right? Can you feel it more on your elbows?
5. Test yourself with the same gear you hope to travel in.
In a SHTF situation, I planned to travel in a mix of mil-boots and vibrams. Totally opposite sides of the spectrum!!! I'm so used to Vibrams, that I need to spend more time in boots to get used to them properly.

Last but not least, remember to have a plan B. I didn't plan on getting an injury above what my basic FAK could sort out.

Just because something seems small and of little effort, don't take it for granted.

I know loads of you are thinking "How stupid, I'd never make those mistakes", well guess what, I had the same view point as well. When you get lazy and start thinking "I'm ready for a small challenge." Don't forget to plan properly for it. A small challenge is more likely to catch you out, as a small challenge is likely to be the one you don't plan for properly.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Morning Charity Hike......Beginner Mistakes ReLearned!!! - by Scythe13 - 1 January 2013, 12:12