Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Every day 4x4
27 March 2013, 10:34, (This post was last modified: 27 March 2013, 10:35 by Binnie.)
RE: Every day 4x4
I had a mate that worked at a land rover dealer for a spell.

he swore blind that freelander and the freelander 2 are the worst cars on the road.

I've had some awful experiences with a diesel freelander too, they truly are awful

If i had the cash i'd buy a toyota hilux, i've worked on hundreds of these, and they are brilliant, except the rear leaf springs, but a broken leaf isnt the end of the world, it'll still keep going!

if money is an issue, get a hyundai or kia jeep, they deteriorate faster than japanese 4x4's, but are still quite reliable!

P.S. anyone ever attempt a u turn in an original freelander? it's not for the faint hearted! the diffs wind up something awful, and they have the turning circle of a tour bus!
27 March 2013, 10:54,
The title of this thread is "Everyday 4x4". When we made our choice, I decided I needed a 4x4 most of the time, for off-road use as well as greater sure-footedness in poor weather conditions on exposed highways with trucks sliding about all over the place. For me that means permanent four wheel drive, which immediately writes off all the double-cabs except for the Mitsubishi with it's "Super Select" system, and the Defender. Most double cabs are part time 4wd, meaning that you need to run them in two wheel drive on regular highways in all but the worst conditions, to avoid transmission wind-up. So, you end up with a 2wd vehicle with rear wheel drive and a light back end. Not fun!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
27 March 2013, 11:24,
To be fair, I have a tool box in the back of my Hilux and the extra weight over the back wheels give me excellent grip, before I got the box, I put 2 paving slabs in the back when there was now and that worked a treat. I only ever engage 4wd when I’m up on the hill going shooting and even then only when necessary. So my truck is very much my everyday 4x4 it’s just that I don't need to have 4wd engaged very often. There when I need it though.Wink
Mar sin leat
27 March 2013, 11:32,
Fair comment. Everyone's needs are different, which is why it's important to do one's homework before making a choice.

There are a couple of excellent books around that review the current systems of 4WD and the various models that use them:

"Off Roader Driving" by Tom Sheppard
"The Complete Guide To Four Wheel Drive" by Andrew St Pierre White.

The latter is biased to the South African market, but it does have an excellent model-by-model review of most of the 4WDs available, and is regularly updated.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
27 March 2013, 12:06, (This post was last modified: 27 March 2013, 12:09 by Titsonafish.)
Sound. I'll try to get a copy of one or both. Thanks.

Just re-read my post..... it's meant to read ....
To be fair, I have a tool box in the back of my Hilux and the extra weight over the back wheels give me excellent grip, before I got the box, I put 2 paving slabs in the back when there was snow and that worked a treat. I only ever engage 4wd when I’m up on the hill going shooting and even then only when necessary. So my truck is very much my everyday 4x4 it’s just that I don't need to have 4wd engaged very often. There when I need it though....
but I cant edit it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mar sin leat
27 March 2013, 14:21,
Hilux surf, great vehicle. Ran mine on straight veg oil.
L200, very capable, insurance is high on those though, and traction on the rear wheels is almost non-existant (although damn good fun in the wet)
Defender, brilliant! Not much fun as an every day car though, have a turning circle of a small cargo ship
Mercedes ML320 - luxury 4WD. Quick, surprisingly good off-road. Expensive to service and fix though.
Old Mitsi shogun (avoid the 3ltr V6!) 2.5TD cracking engine. The little ones are just that, little. Go for the LWB and you're onto a winner.

Avoid the landcruiser, shit off-road unless you've got some decent shoes on it. Uncomfortable too. They're called "Gay-Landers" for a reason.

Best one? Toyota Landcruiser Colorado. You can pick 'em up for about £3.5k. Worth every penny. Will go anywhere. There's a reason the sheiks use them to get into and out of the desert. They have a saying, if you want to go into the desert use a Defender. If you want to get back out again use a Landcruiser...
27 March 2013, 14:30,
i really dont like Diesels in any shape or form, they stink and they all sound like buckets of bolts, if you need one now for an all weather vehicle then fine, but for a post apocalyptal bug out/scout vehicle in my mind there a load of rubbish, again if by bugging out you mean bombing down the motorway at 90mph probably ok, but if like me you will be creeping down a narrow country lane/farm track trying to keep a low profile and not be seen then they are the last thing i want.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 March 2013, 14:42, (This post was last modified: 27 March 2013, 14:42 by BeardyMan.)
(27 March 2013, 14:30)bigpaul Wrote: i really dont like Diesels in any shape or form, they stink and they all sound like buckets of bolts, if you need one now for an all weather vehicle then fine, but for a post apocalyptal bug out/scout vehicle in my mind there a load of rubbish, again if by bugging out you mean bombing down the motorway at 90mph probably ok, but if like me you will be creeping down a narrow country lane/farm track trying to keep a low profile and not be seen then they are the last thing i want.

Diesels are preferable due to the length of time the stored fuel lasts when compared to petrol. BUT, the series 2 landy I had was sat in place for 5 years with the same fuel in it. When the battery was charged up it fired up straight away, so I think petrol does last a lot longer than we are led to believe...

Plus if you get a petrol engine wet you're in trouble. A diesel will cope without too much problem, so 4x4 would be diesel ideally. Better torque too, more pulling power.
27 March 2013, 14:51,
(27 March 2013, 14:42)BeardyMan Wrote: Diesels are preferable due to the length of time the stored fuel lasts when compared to petrol. BUT, the series 2 landy I had was sat in place for 5 years with the same fuel in it. When the battery was charged up it fired up straight away, so I think petrol does last a lot longer than we are led to believe...

Plus if you get a petrol engine wet you're in trouble. A diesel will cope without too much problem, so 4x4 would be diesel ideally. Better torque too, more pulling power.
i've had conversations for years about stored fuel, petrol V diesel, and i always say the same, nobody can store enough fuel to last the rest of their lives, garages and gardens just arent that big, post SHTF when all power is off none of the fuel in the filling stations will be available and will go off fairly quickly, normal advise is 6 months for petrol, a bit longer for diesel, any longer and it will gum up the carbs and the jets. so store enough for 6 months maybe 1 year, after that your motor vehicle will be a garden ornament, at best a handy store, you will then have to look at alternative transport, 4 legs as opposed to 4 wheels, a bicycle or start walking.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 March 2013, 14:53,
(27 March 2013, 14:51)bigpaul Wrote: i've had conversations for years about stored fuel, petrol V diesel, and i always say the same, nobody can store enough fuel to last the rest of their lives, garages and gardens just arent that big, post SHTF when all power is off none of the fuel in the filling stations will be available and will go off fairly quickly, normal advise is 6 months for petrol, a bit longer for diesel, any longer and it will gum up the carbs and the jets. so store enough for 6 months maybe 1 year, after that your motor vehicle will be a garden ornament, at best a handy store, you will then have to look at alternative transport, 4 legs as opposed to 4 wheels, a bicycle or start walking.

I agree completely. I'd rather have 1 years worth of diesel stored in my garden than a years worth of petrol though!!